Acer Unveils Predator Gaming Displays With G-Sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Is it just me or is it odd that the 4k and 1440, both in 27" models, everything else the same, cost the same also? Seems odd.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I'll assume the big Acer cheque came in today.

As a point of education about how the tech industry works: Any time there is a big product launch (graphics cards, CPUs, chipsets, etc.), there is a date and time at which we in the press are allowed to publish information about it. We call that an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) or embargo.

When there's a REALLY big NDA lift, such as last night's Skylake CPUs, all the associated hardware makers ALSO have NDA lifts for all their products. In the case of a company like Acer, which makes a ton of products, we write a ton of posts -- for you, dear reader!

You'll note, for example, a number of articles about Lenovo have gone up, too, as well as new 100-series chipset announcements.

These are all part of the group of NDAs. We write these articles up as fast as the information comes in. There will be many more articles coming today.

Hate to burst your bubble, but there's no skulduggery here. Just the normal machinations of the tech world.

Says the guy employed by the ad farm ;)

kewlbootz

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Says the guy employed by the ad farm ;)

Um, says the guy taking the time to browse and comment in the supposed "ad farm"?

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Is there any reason why a monitor that supports G-Sync couldn't also support FreeSync? It could go far in easing the consumers mind about which video card they might want to get in the future.

Ben Archer

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
It says the 4k has a refresh rate of 144Hz, but even DisplayPort 1.3 will enable a 4K UHD display to operate at a 120Hz refresh rate using 24-bit pixels, or a 96Hz refresh rate using 30-bit pixels. So how will it be driven at 4k144p?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

"As the G-Sync technology is still relatively new, there are only a handful of displays on the market that support it. Of those displays, only two currently support 4K resolutions, and both of these are limited to 60 Hz refresh rates."

Am I missing something here, the chart seems to say XB1 XB271HK is 4K and 144hz.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Displays/IFA-2015-Acer-Predator-Z35-and-XB1-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitors
PCper says it too, 4K, 144hz, gsync. So how is this limited to 60? It would seem your own chart, & pcper's comments are in conflict with the statement above correct? Or am I missing something?

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Yes there is a reason(s). NV owns 82% of the discrete market now, so they would be insane to do anything but push Gsync. Why would anyone in their right mind support killing their own tech by supporting the enemy when you own 82% of the market to force your standard, which happens to be BETTER anyway? I wouldn't support it until AMD cracks 50% or AMD came up with something JUST AS GOOD as my tech and starts picking parts themselves (AMD admits this was a mistake) for the monitor makers to get better results in the finished products. They claim they will start to fix this issue and get them to pick better stuff in the future, but so far no go. Again, NV would be insane to not push Gsync with this type of market share behind it. You want to help sell your OWN cards and tech, not AMD stuff unless forced by market actions. They will likely gain a few more % over Q4 (AMD had nothing, and in short supply on everything), so stick to your guns or you're being stupid at this point if your NV (and they have smart management). We don't even know if they recovered their R&D cost on gsync yet either (not sure how much it cost either), so again multiple reasons to do nothing but forge ahead pushing it.

Hello Everyone,

Those curious about the 4K 144 Hz display, this was not listed by mistake. Acer didn't give exact refresh rates for these displays or exact prices. Note, I say "Up To 144 Hz", because this is what Acer claimed was possible for the series. They didn't list by individual display. So, it could be the 2K display tops out at 144 Hz by default, while the 4K display tops out at 120 Hz or lower.

The pricing is similar, with the price listed being a starting price for the series. We don't have exact pricing on individual displays at this time. I would have asked Acer for more details about these, but these displays are not being released quite yet. Until they are released, the exact specs and pricing can see some amount of change.

So when you look at the refresh rate and price, know that is the maximum refresh rate for that series and the lowest price for that series.

Ben Archer

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Over on PCGamer's write up of the press release they say "The XB271HK is another 27-inch IPS monitor, but this one has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 and a refresh rate of up to 75Hz (minimum 24Hz)." I think they have the correct numbers.

I have an Acer monitor, I love it. It was a good price for great quality.

The only thing is, the pricing on these are just high. My Acer monitor is a 2560x1440p resolution, 4ms response, IPS screen. And what do you know, so is this, for 3X the price.

Over on PCGamer's write up of the press release they say "The XB271HK is another 27-inch IPS monitor, but this one has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 and a refresh rate of up to 75Hz (minimum 24Hz)." I think they have the correct numbers.

They do not have the correct numbers. We contacted Acer and have updated the article above. The XB271HK is actually rated for 60 Hz, not 75 Hz. The previously stated "Up To 144 Hz" was accurate, as Acer previously informed us that the Predator XB1 series would have displays at resolutions up to 144 Hz. The 75 Hz refresh rate is inaccurate as this display cannot achieve 75 Hz without overclocking, and it may not be able to reach 75 Hz at all.

Kurt_L

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
It appears that these monitors may have VESA mounting capability. Can anyone at Tom's confirm this?

1. There is currently no cable that can support the bandwidth required for 144 Hz at 4K .

Judging only by the specs alone, the Asus ROG PG278Q currently offers the best performance out of all of the G-Sync monitors currently available overall.

2. The Asus is very good ...it trades blows in various areas but the Predator wins more than it loses... faster pixel response of the Asus is unfortunately negated by overshoot. Asus has faster response time but overall greater lag time. It's also TN and more expensive then the IPS Predator

lag.jpg

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Move over Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, in our opinion we've got a new king of gaming monitors!

Tho Acer still needs to bring up the appearance/ design quality of the enclosure.

Mydogbuddy007

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
Can anyone confirm what the max refresh rate while using ULMB is for the XB271HU? i know with the XB270HU it could only support 100hz with ULMB, so i was wondering if this display has the same limitation?

The limitation is related to the IPS technology which just simply doesn't have low enough (~1ms) response time ... few panels, even TN panels do. Even the TN RoG Swift is 1.45 ms. From above link:

For quick switching on and off it is also available via the quick launch menu option. It is only available when running the screen at 85 and 100Hz modes (see update below). The lack of support at the high refresh rates is probably related to a couple of factors. Mark Rejhon at Blurbusters.com talks about it a little in his post here as well. Firstly, to have effective "clean" strobing at 120Hz you really need pixel response times to be able to reach ~1ms G2G ideally, something that this IPS-type panel cannot reach. Even the best TN Film panels struggle to reach that kind of response time, so the strobing provided at 120Hz is still not clean. By limiting the ULMB to 100Hz maximum it is more appropriate for the kind of response times made possible from this new panel - which are excellent it should be noted for an IPS variant.

Secondly when you are using the ULMB feature you cannot use G-sync. As a result you are restricted to the Vsync on/off situation which we discussed earlier in the review. Limiting the refresh rate to 100Hz maximum is less of a drain on graphics resources than 120HZ/144Hz. You'd still need a beefy graphics capability to be able to output 100 fps consistently at 2560 x 1440 resolution, so we don't feel that the upper restriction here is really a massive issue. You still get fast pixel response times, 100Hz refresh rate and the benefits of perceived blur reduction discussed below.

Also

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1777#p13222

I have never recommended IPS for gaming .... until the XB370HU. Witcher 3 on that monitor was a jaw dropping experience. I have been running Lightboost on my VG248QE for 2 years now @ 120 Hz and the Predator at 100 Hz was no step down. I think that's where (120Hz) they will eventually take the IPS panels.

Mydogbuddy007

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015

Yeah probably, unless OLED gets cheap enough and we get 120/144hz strobed OLED first.

Status
Not open for further replies.