Acer Unveils the 2-in-1 Aspire Switch 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
At under $400 it looks like a winner to me. Much better design than anything like this I've seen on the market so far under $600. Miles ahead of the Surface.

dizzycriminal

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
It's pretty much the Asus Transformer T100 without the Office 2013 Key included, for about the same price (US) too. The price here in the UK was inflated against the US price, so if Acer can keep the global price of this low it will be competitive.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
At under $400 it looks like a winner to me. Much better design than anything like this I've seen on the market so far under $600. Miles ahead of the Surface.
Miles ahead of the Surface? Lower res screen, atom CPU, half the RAM - so apart from thin and light, which is easy when there is nothing powerful inside, what else does it have going for it?

dizzycriminal

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

You don't need tha kind of res on a 10" screen, it wasted processing power and battery and you don't get much advatange from the extra pixel density when its already more than adequate.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I assume you're going to bring up the Surface PRO so let me just state right away that I was talking about the standard RT version. First off, the Atom SoC is much faster than the Tegra 4 and provides the ability to use full x86 applications. Next, it's $170 less than a Surface with keyboard dock. ($70 less than without it). Not only that but you get a full clam-shell style dock which makes a lot more sense because you can use it on uneven surfaces. RAM is the same.

mfgillia

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Other websites state the tablet portion is made out of aluminum and not plastic, which would make sense for those magnets to work.

mfgillia

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Some of it seems noticeably better than the Asus T100 - better build quality (partial metal/aluminum construction), higher quality screen and more versatile hinge.

On the other hand, the battery seems to be shorter by at least two hours and it appears to lack a USB 3 port in the keyboard dock.

This is a product category sub-400 baytrail 2 in 1s that seems to be largely ignored by the other vendors. Therefore, curious to learn more about this model once the reviews come out in a few weeks. Also hoping Asus refreshes their own T100 with better specs and build quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.