Acer Updates C910 Chromebook With Intel Core i5 Broadwell CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Isn't an I5 kinds overkill for a chrome book. If I'm buying a portable computer with an I5 I want windows or at least a fully functional Linux distro like Ubuntu.

eumakant

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
i have a new acer bay trail atom chromebook , and we can now use some android apps on our chromeos and out of it i use skype which works but not very well , i feel with i5 and more software updates , we should be able to use all android apps and chromeos on chomebooks which will basically replace our main computers , if not entirely for most of the computers uses who dont use professional software like creative suite and others

ImpedingMadness

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
Isn't an I5 kinds overkill for a chrome book. If I'm buying a portable computer with an I5 I want windows or at least a fully functional Linux distro like Ubuntu.
No, this is 'fake' i5 as it is only 2 cores. Even if they put i7 u model, it is still 2 cores

eumakant

Reputable
Mar 19, 2015
eh for browsing you dont need multicore processor, may be for other applications on android but most of the android as still not optimized for multi cores
any ways haswell dual core i5 and i7 are very fast and this is broadwell so should be better . i feel cores are only useful for certain specific tasks if it was not new apple macbooks wont have just a dual core processors .

jchap1590

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2012
No, this is 'fake' i5 as it is only 2 cores. Even if they put i7 u model, it is still 2 cores

it's not "fake", it's a mobile processor.. mobile i5 CPUs and half of the lower-end i7 CPUs have always been 2 cores with hyperthreading.. as far back as Sandybridge. all i5s and i7s were 2C/4T in the Westmere gen.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
To everyone in the comments: install seabios, load linux distro of choice, profit. The hardware is wonderfully specced for the price.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Eh, I'm looking forward to some more web based applications, and ChromeOS ports of both windows and linux software before I see it as a true desktop alternative, but having mid range hardware is definitely exciting on this platform, and would be a great laptop for anyone not needing windows for a specific program.

Status
Not open for further replies.