Acer V17 Nitro Black w/ Windows 10 frozen in shutdown or startup (I think)

oneblueaugust

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
My computer was working fine, no problems. This is my work laptop so it has very few programs installed on it. However, when I restarted it (mouse restart through windows, not a hard restart or anything), the screen went black, and now it seems to be stuck in shutdown or startup mode somehow. I did have some excel worksheets open that it asked me if I'd like to force close, which I said yes to as they weren't important.

This is different than the shutdown problems that I've found so far after a few hours of googling. If I hold the power button down to restart the computer, once I power it back up the Acer screen comes up with the loading circle for a moment, and then I'm back to the black screen. If I move the mouse, I can see the mouse and it moves fine, and it has a perpetual loading circle, but that's all.

Nothing I do affects this status. I've shut down and started up the computer multiple times. I've hit every combination of keys I know of. I've tried tapping all the F keys as it loads. The computer is completely unresponsive. I can't get to any command programs as the only thing I'm able to do is move the mouse on a black screen.

I've also tried inserting a USB stick with a windows ISO on it, hoping it would go into repair mode when I restarted the computer, but that didn't work. The USB lights up when I insert it, so it's recognizing that I'm putting it in, but there's no response on the screen.

I'm completely at a loss. At this point I've unplugged the computer and am waiting for the battery to die, as I can't figure out how to remove the battery (that sounds bad but I'm actually fairly computer literate, but as far as I can see there's no quick way to remove the battery, I'd need to take the keyboard off). I'm hoping that if the battery completely dies then whatever process is hanging the computer will die.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? This is a very serious for me, as I have a ton of data on this computer that I need to be able to get to in order to run my business. I do have backups, but they're unfortunately not current enough for me to not lose very valuable information.

Solution
Solved this by letting the battery completely die, then resetting the operating system. None of the easier options (restart windows, repair using USB etc) fixed this, so I was forced to do the reset. Sitting here reinstalling everything now.

Also, if you have this computer and need to remove the battery, this is a helpful guide:

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/acer-aspire-v-nitro-vn7-591g-disassembly/

oneblueaugust

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Solved this by letting the battery completely die, then resetting the operating system. None of the easier options (restart windows, repair using USB etc) fixed this, so I was forced to do the reset. Sitting here reinstalling everything now.

Also, if you have this computer and need to remove the battery, this is a helpful guide:

http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/acer-aspire-v-nitro-vn7-591g-disassembly/

Solution