[SOLVED] Acer Veriton L480G upgrade

Rockyyyy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2015
Hello, I recently got in my hands an old pc Acer Veriton L480G without any hdd. I was thinking about getting an SSD and change ram sticks to 2x2gb (it currently has only 2x1gb) so I can give it to my young cousin so that she can use it to browse the web and watch movies on it. Is it worth the upgrade? If so, what kind of ram sticks should I look for and what kind of SSD?
Also what is the best OS to install on it? Thanks everyone

Solution
Hello, that is a very old pc but it would still be ok for web browsing with upgrades. You need 2 sticks of 2GB DDR3 (brand doesn't really matter just look at the reviews for it) and for this I would recommend a kingston A400 240GB SSD as it isn't that fastest SSD but the computer is the bottleneck here and I have had very good experiences with these ssds.

Because it is old, it might benefit (just be a bit faster) from ubuntu as it is more lightweight than windows if you were comfortable with linux.

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello, that is a very old pc but it would still be ok for web browsing with upgrades. You need 2 sticks of 2GB DDR3 (brand doesn't really matter just look at the reviews for it) and for this I would recommend a kingston A400 240GB SSD as it isn't that fastest SSD but the computer is the bottleneck here and I have had very good experiences with these ssds.

Because it is old, it might benefit (just be a bit faster) from ubuntu as it is more lightweight than windows if you were comfortable with linux.

Solution

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
There will be a hard drive caddy inside with the old hard drive in it. Just remove the old hard drive and plug the ssd into where the hard drive went because they have the same connectors.

Rockyyyy

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2015

Hello again, I just got the ssd today and it works fine. I also got the ram but they dont work with it.. they are 2x DDR3 2gb SODIMM (PC3-8500) 1066 MHZ and the pc makes a long beep sound when I try to boot it up. I swapped the the old 2x1gb ram it has and it worked fine. I honestly have no idea why these ram sticks dont work with it