Question Acer XB270HU powering off, half greenish screen and adjusting brightness all on its own. What are my "out of warranty" options?

dwhit95

Honorable
Dec 2, 2016
Backstory: I bought an Acer XB270HU Monitor off of r/hardwareswap in February 2017. I used the warranty at the time to replace the screen because of some dead pixels and since then it has been working as it should.

Problem: The monitor seems to be breaking down on me though. As of about 3 weeks ago, I started experiencing issues with this monitor. Every time I use it, it will randomly power off and won’t let me turn it back on after a few tries or a few minutes. When it isn’t powering off, it sometimes starts adjusting the brightness on its own in a flickering manner and pushing the exit menu or power off button as this is happening does nothing (see video). And on top of this, one time it filled the left half of the screen with these green hazy looking lines (see images).
Images and Video: View: https://imgur.com/a/Ij6CBYq

What is weird is none of these issues started happening until I started using a small USB led strip plugged into the back of the monitor. Could this really be causing these issues? I mean LEDs take very little power and this monitor was designed to support enough power for a USB device.

The Warranty Issue: I checked Acer’s site for my warranty status and it appears my warranty ended 6 months ago so I feel like I am SOL. At this point should I even worry about sending this in to Acer or is it worth it to just say RIP to this one and get another? This is my second monitor that I use for media and monitoring so its features for gaming aren’t used but it would still suck to lose this one. Also is it possible that replacing the panel with the warranty in 2017 reset the lifespan of the warranty?

Open it up. See if any of the boards have part numbers. Take pictures.

What is weird is none of these issues started happening until I started using a small USB led strip plugged into the back of the monitor. Could this really be causing these issues? I mean LEDs take very little power and this monitor was designed to support enough power for a USB device.

Does it work normally when the USB LED strip is disconnected? If so. Don't plug it in anymore.