[SOLVED] Acer XB271HU screen flickering

tomtaylor0109

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
Hello,

so I have some issues with this monitor. I was watching a movie on VLC media player and suddenly started to notice that the image quality was quite blurry. So I exited the program and literally everything was blurry. It was like a double-vision styled look, so I restarted the computer. Notice that this process took a while. Upon turning it on again, the monitor wouldn't display anything, so I unplugged the computer. Next restart was efficient, everything loaded up. Blurry image was gone, back to VLC. I noticed that as soon as I enter fullscreen mode there is a slight flickering, same happens when I move the mouse a bit or exit fullscreen mode. It's like the monitor would power off and then back on immediately again under .5 seconds. Next thing I noticed, same happens on youtube! When I enter fullscreen, it flickers, and every time I move the mouse it flickers again, also when I exit fullscreen mode. This is extremely annoying, considering that I have never ever had this issue up until this point. I managed to find a temporary solution, which is disabling the G-sync mode, and it did work. However, I'd like to point out that I did not pay this ammount of money for a faulty product like this. Could you please provide me some sort of a solution about this flickering? I do intend to keep G-sync mode turned on, since I use the monitor for gaming as well. No flickering while gaming, that's a plus. I have the latest nvidia drivers as well, everything's up to date. Once again I would like to point out that up until this point, I have never had this issue. Also, as a sidenote: fullscreen flickering only seems to happen at 16:9 aspect ratio (which is the default, native ratio of the monitor!) The monitor is not overclocked, it's running at 144hz refresh rate.

Cheers

Solution
Whats your system specs and Windows?

My suspicion is Nvidia drivers. Do you remember updating before this problem or did Windows/Geforce Experience update for you?

397.xx and 4xx.xx series drivers have been plagued with problems. Some 397xx and 4xx.xx versions might be ok for Win7 or Win10. Any case you should try an older driver.

Im on 411.63 driver (Windows 7) 1080Ti XB270HU Gsync on and not having issues. Windows 10 may be different.

Can also try 391.35 or earlier if you have a 10 series card. Im not sure older drivers would work with 20 series.

Use Display Driver uninstaller to uninstall video drivers. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Might want to check this out too and stop...

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Can you try running the HDMI/DP cable from the Motherboard Video Output rather than the GPU as it sounds like the GPU may be going. If the issue ceases when you display directly from the motherboard then we know its a GPU issue....

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Whats your system specs and Windows?

My suspicion is Nvidia drivers. Do you remember updating before this problem or did Windows/Geforce Experience update for you?

397.xx and 4xx.xx series drivers have been plagued with problems. Some 397xx and 4xx.xx versions might be ok for Win7 or Win10. Any case you should try an older driver.

Im on 411.63 driver (Windows 7) 1080Ti XB270HU Gsync on and not having issues. Windows 10 may be different.

Can also try 391.35 or earlier if you have a 10 series card. Im not sure older drivers would work with 20 series.

Use Display Driver uninstaller to uninstall video drivers. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Might want to check this out too and stop Windows 10 updating device drivers, not sure if it updates graphics drivers or not but i'd turn this silly feature off. https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/

---

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Enter fields and you'll get a list of drivers

Solution

tomtaylor0109

Reputable
Aug 25, 2017
Yes, all drivers are up to date. I have an i7 7700k, gtx 1080, and an 800W psu. Interesting fact: this morning I booted up the computer and the flickering seems to be completely gone, even with G-sync turned on.