BRY4N

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
Hey guys,

I have a problem with deciding which monitor to buy. My old monitor is an Acer XB270Hbmjdprz, the TN 1080p non g-sync variant. I have it for like 5 years and I've decided that I want an upgrade to QHD, preferably G-SYNC. I would like to stick to the 27-inch screen size. A year ago I tried the ASUS PG278QR, but at the time I didn't have a GPU that was powerful enough to run the games I play at a frame rate that satisfies me, so I returned it. I've been also eyeing the Acer XB271Hubmiprz and since I ran into a price reduction of like 175 dollars, I impulsively bought it. I had known for a while before I bought it that the IPS panels have problems such as IPS glow, backlight bleed and so on. So I expected to encounter these problems and unfortunately I did. The first unit had such a high amount of IPS glow that it really bothered me when I was playing or watching a movie at night with the lights in my room turned off so I returned it. Luckily the shop where I bought it from is one of the most reputable shops in our country and it refunds you in cash immediately, so I swiftly ordered another unit and came for it the next day while returning the first one. The IPS glow wasn't as severe with the second one but it was still distracting so I considered returning it once more. The price reduction on this monitor expired the day before yesterday but I still managed to order a third unit before it ended. Today I picked up the third one and when I was contemplating whether the IPS glow is better with this one or not, I noticed a small cluster of dead pixels near the left edge of the screen which at the price of 700 USD even after the price reduction is unacceptable for me. So I don't know what to do now, I don't want to buy it again when it just got more expensive and at the same time I don't want to RMA it, because I have read that Acer along with other manufacturers have some RMA conditions specifically regarding the number of dead pixels in one place. I considered buying the ASUS PG279Q which I know is the same panel but a different manufacturer and I've read that the QC isn't good with any of these monitors, regardless of the brand. plus the ASUS one costs around 850 USD. I honestly don't know how to act now, because I don't want to keep this one mainly for the dead pixels and at the same time the I like everything else about this monitor and there aren't much choices when searching for a 27 inch QHD 144hz-165hz G-SYNC monitor from what I've seen. I don't want an ultrawide or anything like that since I sit fairly close to my monitor and I'm afraid that if I bought something that has like 32 inches it would almost nullify the PPI gain that I got from switching to QHD. The ASUS PG278QR TN variant which I tested last year would still cost me like 40 bucks more and I would lose the IPS color improvement since it's a TN panel.

So guys, I am looking forwards to your suggestions on other alternatives. Any response regarding this problem is appreciated and I will be grateful for it. Thank you in advance :)

May 10, 2019
I would advice you to buy from Amazon since they have good return policies. I have bought Acer XF270HUA its 1440p , 144hz FreeSync but you can use with Nvidia cards. Really happy with it. Worth to check it out.

BRY4N

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014

BRY4N

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
I would advice you to buy from Amazon since they have good return policies. I have bought Acer XF270HUA its 1440p , 144hz FreeSync but you can use with Nvidia cards. Really happy with it. Worth to check it out.
Yeah I looked up the amazon page in our country, unfortunately it's just the german Amazon site translated to my language so the prices are almost the same as in the other shops in my country and if I ordered it from America it would probably cost even more once the tax and shipping prices are added. So thanks for your advice, but in my case I guess it won't help.

Reactions: Brandao