Acer XG270HU text issue

highlanderfil

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
I've had this monitor for a couple of months now and am noticing a rather annoying issue. Although many reviews claim that the text is sharp and clear, I'm noticing white outlines around the text in my Chrome bookmarks, as well as other programs/websites. This review claims that this happens when super sharpness is turned on, but I have never had it on. Anyone experience the same thing or is it just something I'm going to have to learn to live with (or possibly keep this monitor for gaming only and get another one for web surfing/Excel)?

spagalicious

Distinguished
Have you tried using Windows Cleartype to adjust text to best suit your display? I've had similar issues with grey and excessively washed out text before using this tool to correct the issue.

\http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx

highlanderfil

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

I went through the tuning exercise and, to be perfectly honest, am not too thrilled with the result. Didn't really change things:(.

spagalicious

Distinguished
Do you notice other display oddities or just text? I owned that monitor for awhile, did not have any issues after calibrating text. Could be an issue with the actual monitor, hard to say. Could you take a screen shot of what you are seeing? Maybe that will help.

If you are using overdrive, turn that off. Gamma 2.2? If you are using a preset, go for custom. I know the colors looked pretty washed out when I first got the panel. Brightness needed turning down too. You could use the calibration settings used in the TFTCentral review to see if that helps.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xg270hu.htm

Honestly, from google and myself, I haven't heard of any issues with text and this monitor. If you can't find a solution online or with the panel settings, you probably want to RMA the panel. I'm very picky with my displays, went through 4 different models before settling on the XB270HU. Describe your plight and you will most likely get a replacement unit, no questions ask. Do not send the panel in for warranty, it is brand new and with enough push (again only if it is warranted, Acer is pretty good about QC issues) they will send you a replacement.

Good luck duder

highlanderfil

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Chatted with customer service - they are offering repair only. That means I'll be without a monitor for two weeks, at least, and I can't do that. Time to beg Newegg to make an exception, I guess...