Question ACER XR341CK monitor problems

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Tom's Hardware Brain Trust-

I own an ACER XR341CK monitor, out of warranty. It suddenly stopped working. I have started to troubleshoot it.

I disconnected the HDMI cable from the computer and the monitor to isolate the monitor. If I press the power button on the monitor, whether the monitor is connected to the computer or not, I should get some sort of "signs of life" correct? I should get a splash screen, an "ON" light or something like that correct?

I put a voltmeter to the power supply and I'm showing 12 volts at the tip, so I'm pretty sure the power supply is working.

Thanks for any advice. The monitor is only 4 years old so I hate to trash it. ACER wants 600 bucks to repair it.

Lutfij

Titan
The cost of repair is most likely to replace the monitor's driver board. If you've torn down the monitor might want to inspect each component on the driver board to see if the components on the board receive power while your power from the adapter is plugged onto the driver board.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
The cost of repair is most likely to replace the monitor's driver board. If you've torn down the monitor might want to inspect each component on the driver board to see if the components on the board receive power while your power from the adapter is plugged onto the driver board.

Yikes I wouldn't know how to do that. And even if I found that the driver board was dead, I assume the cost of the driver board would pretty much be the cost of a new monitor?

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Weirdest thing. As I mentioned, the original power supply was putting out 12V when I put a multimeter on it. I looked up the specs on the monitor's original power supply and found that many AC powered LED lights use the same exact output (12V @ 5 amps) with the same tip so I plugged in a LED power supply from some LED lights I had hanging around and the monitor started working. So for the heck of it, I plugged in the original power supply for the monitor and now it works. I have no idea why, but it saved me a few hundred bucks!