Acer's C7 Chromebook Now Available in Additional Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]This thing is DOA... it doesn't even run a real OS.[/citation]

Depends on your point of view. It is a great minimalist laptop that does about 90% of what most non-tech people actually do with a computer.

G

[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]Depends on your point of view. It is a great minimalist laptop that does about 90% of what most non-tech people actually do with a computer.[/citation]

You can also put linux on these things if you just want a cheap linux laptop.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
""The extra low price of only $199 is so affordable that customers can even buy them as stocking stuffers for multiple people on their shopping list." "

I wish I had that kind of money...

G

Increase ram up to 4 gb but i've heard you can add even more, battery sucks but why not just buy an extra battery for cheap?, 320 GB hard drive can run Chrome OS/Ubuntu OS which is a MUCH BETTER OS than Chrome. Intel chip is a bit faster than Samsung ARM processor anyway. You can swap to a SSD instead of internal hard drive. 100 GB cloud storage still included with Acer Chromebook. Hdmi for straming netflix/movies on my hdtv. I love my chromebook it's a steal at $200, can't wait for updates and installing Ubuntu OS.

capncoad

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I actually sold a more powerful Samsung Laptop in order to get a Chromebook (Samsung ARM Model). When folks blast Chromebooks for not having local apps and traditional OS features the point is completely going over their head. This is a case of less is more, where the value is having less 'stuff' to interfere with what you care about most (the web for a lot of people).

There is a greater value in my life for light, quiet, efficient machine for doing stuff online than a fully loaded laptop machine with battery draining quad core processors that generate uncomfortable heat in order to run an OS where I use 5% of the functionality. Yet i'm responsible for 100% of the upkeep whether it's Linux Kernel Updates breaking my nvidia graphics drivers (Thanks Ubuntu 12.10) or having to fuss with a messy interface with Windows 8, virus protection Windows in general and registry clutter.

I don't mind machine upkeep on my main tower PC that I use for gaming, multimedia and i'll gladly use Windows. But for sitting on the couch, going to class or laying in bed i'd rather keep mobile computing simple at best.

Scanlia

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]capncoad[/nom]I actually sold a more powerful Samsung Laptop in order to get a Chromebook (Samsung ARM Model). When folks blast Chromebooks for not having local apps and traditional OS features the point is completely going over their head. This is a case of less is more, where the value is having less 'stuff' to interfere with what you care about most (the web for a lot of people). There is a greater value in my life for light, quiet, efficient machine for doing stuff online than a fully loaded laptop machine with battery draining quad core processors that generate uncomfortable heat in order to run an OS where I use 5% of the functionality. Yet i'm responsible for 100% of the upkeep whether it's Linux Kernel Updates breaking my nvidia graphics drivers (Thanks Ubuntu 12.10) or having to fuss with a messy interface with Windows 8, virus protection Windows in general and registry clutter. I don't mind machine upkeep on my main tower PC that I use for gaming, multimedia and i'll gladly use Windows. But for sitting on the couch, going to class or laying in bed i'd rather keep mobile computing simple at best.[/citation]

Wow, I couldn't agree more with you. Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.