News Acer's SpatialLabs View Pro 27 Features 4K 160Hz Panel, Glasses-Free 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalek1234

Honorable
Sep 27, 2019
Please, not the 3D BS again.
Every decade or so, 3D is hyped up to sell more TVs (now monitor too). People fall for the gimmic, realise it's not good, and then the buzz fizzles out. Then a wait, for the new generation of people, and the 3D BS gets a new push, then it fizzles out again. Rince, repeat. This cycle has been repeated for longer than 50 years now, maybe even more. There is a sucker born every minute, so I guess there rest of us are stuck re-living the 3D Hype, over and over.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Please, not the 3D BS again...
You may be right, but not for any reason you talked about. 3D televisions failed for the same reason curved televisions failed: The geometry of the implementation requires the viewer to be in a specific location in order to work as intended. This is not practical for a main room TV with many viewers and a normal furniture layout. Curved gaming monitors, however are an entirely different use case. I know several people who use them and they seem to be increasing in number and not just a novelty. No glass 3D screens may fall into the same kind of use case as curved monitors. This monitor utilizes head and eye tracking for a single viewer which (seems to me) would make a huge impact in the quality of the 3D effect. My concern would be if this kind of technology causes any kind of eye strain or mental fatigue. From using virtual reality headsets, the fatigue factor seems much more of a likely limiting factor rather than a general failure of the tech itself.

Oct 13, 2023
Even if this might not be useful for a user or just a gimmick to show off to friends, I could actually see a use-case for designers who want to have another viewpoint of NPCs and created environments.

Sep 22, 2023
My concern would be if this kind of technology causes any kind of eye strain or mental fatigue. From using virtual reality headsets, the fatigue factor seems much more of a likely limiting factor rather than a general failure of the tech itself.
I've had a Spatiallabs laptop for over 6 months and I haven't experienced eye strain or mental fatigue, probably because I can adjust how intense the 3D effect is with sliders, I have the real world around me, and I can adjust my head position (or maybe I'm less susceptible to strain & fatigue?). The experience is like looking through a window when the 3D is turned on, and the way you focus on objects near & far in a scene feels about as natural as in real life so long as you don't push the 3D effect too far. It's easy to see objects sink ~15" into the 15.6" monitor, but having objects pop out 5-6"+ is more difficult because the illusion breaks when the object touches the edge.
There are some quirks here 'n there, but overall it's been a pleasant surprise that still impresses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.