Acer's V Nitro Black Edition Rocks 4K IPS Screen, Includes Free Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
You can get very similar specs for around $900 with a Clevo barebone. But a big value add on is the UHD IPS panel, although in my opinion is mismatched with an 860M. Why include an extremely high resolution panel with a GPU that can't push that many pixels?

I am not bashing them for including a UHD panel on a laptop that starts at $1500, that is an amazing deal. I just hope that they don't lower the build quality of the chassis like Lenovo did with the Y50 in order to fit the UHD monitor into the budget.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Maybe if it had a 980M SLI it would have been a better fit. Most single card desktop solutions struggle with 4K gaming and pushing that on a laptop might not be a good idea as of now.

Erikas Brazaitis

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
@dovah-chan "I just hope that they don't lower the build quality of the chassis like Lenovo did with the Y50 in order to fit the UHD monitor into the budget." Its Acer if they lower build quality then they be building potatoes.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
If you get decent frame rates at 1920 with 2x AA turned on. You will get the same or faster frame rate, at the same or better latency, and a better image at 3840 with 2x AA turned off.

Remember you no longer need aa to smooth things out when you double the pixel density, you get the equivalent of 2x AA with no overhead.

Remember you can also set the screen to 1920 and since its 3840 is a perfect multiple of 2, it will scale without any visual artifacts. If your frame rate is too slow, just do that, and you are just fine.

The transition to 4k cant happen soon enough in the computer world. Wont make much of a difference for TV(average TV viewing distances mean the extra pixels wont be visible), but for computers it will be very welcome.

Its nice to FINALLY see a lot of 4k computer monitors coming out. Now we just need them in 23 or 24" varities.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
So what is the point of a 4K laptop that you have to scale down to make a game playable? Weird logic. This is being touted as a gaming laptop and it won't game very well at its native resolution with the low end GPU. I find it funny how people defend certain 4K items by saying you can always scale down. No I don't want to. If it is designed as a gamer's paradise then I want the whole 4K goodness. The problem here is it isn't gamer nirvana due to the GPU choice (which is clearly done to get the laptop sub 1500).

I would look at it if Acer made the 900s available as an optional upgrade since the panel will be super sexy. As it is now, that thing wont play AC Unity worth a darn at its native reso so for me it is a pass (but applaud the effort).

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Forget the 870M. If the 860M is a Maxwell part then it would be nice to have a 970M but then cost would rise even more.

According to reviews, it's Maxwell. At least in FHD versions, but why would they change it in UHD one?

Its Acer if they lower build quality then they be building potatoes.

In general, yes, but it's decent enough here, according to reviews.

If you get decent frame rates at 1920 with 2x AA turned on. You will get the same or faster frame rate, at the same or better latency, and a better image at 3840 with 2x AA turned off.

Umm... just... no. No, you won't. It doesn't work like that.

So what is the point of a 4K laptop that you have to scale down to make a game playable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGbEjET1BNw :D Can you and some others here just read the comments and analyze what they've read instead of repeating the same thing over and over? It's for people with interests other than gaming, such as photography and video editing. If you don't need that, IPS FHD version is waiting for you. Good brightness (avg. 319 cd/m2), rather deep blacks (0.46 cd/m2), quite good color accuracy (about 5-6 DeltaE 2000), 75% sRGB, no blue tint, matte. Great for gaming.

BTW this laptop is using an M.2 SSD and a SATA HDD for storage so you get best of both worlds - something many competitors (looking at you, Asus) STILL don't offer for some stupid reason. Default Atheros WLAN card sucks as usual, buy config with Intel or Broadcom or change it yourself. Maintenance sort of annoying, have to take off top panel for access and not bottom. Good speakers (4). Clickpad's kinda glitchy like in V5-573 but tolerable. Port arrangement is stupid, everything on the right side - sorry Acer, but lefties are a tiny minority, this is uncomfortable. Overall, a good laptop. Definitely better than expected from Acer and better in some aspects than many alternatives with 860M.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Buddy this is a GAMING laptop defined by the OEM - so your point is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS