Aces hardware review up

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I much better like ther review as i say Opteron lantency fromX-bi was relate to CPU clock.

Intel memory controleur hub still got a huge advance compare to any others Corporation.The worst it Grand champion is still faster.

Ht play some trick some time.Some benchmark show 50% increase intel was right HT is more useful that 64bit.To bad montecino will feature bolt.Even under windows 2000 or SUSE linux

Opteron perf as a webserver is good.I will just like to see some Windows 2003 data base center benchmark on Opteron and Xeon as it support Numa and high quality tread sheduling.

[-peep-] french

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Once again it performe well where Athlon MP was performing well very few benchmrak see a diiference just faster that a Athlon MP.If Athlon Mp was running on a SMP Nforce 2 Dual DDR 400 it may have been only 5% slower but with much higher clock speed.Also a 3 GHZ XEON is avaible and a faster Xeon MP is avaible.

Opteron deceive me it cannot take a Itanium far from it,(200% slower) it cannot take a Xeon MP only a higher mid range Xeon DP

[-peep-] french

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Opteron deceive me it cannot take a Itanium far from it,(200% slower) it cannot take a Xeon MP only a higher mid range Xeon DP
It's pretty dumb to claim Itanium2 as all-around superior based on one benchmark. We already knew Itanium2 rules for FP math, but it also seems to drag for integer ops.

As for the XeonMP...XeonMP is a joke. It offers 4-8way scaling (which Opteron also has) and larger cache, but comes with a major clockspeed deficit and an outrageous price hike. I doubt XeonMP would stand much chance against Opteron, big cache or not.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
It's pretty dumb to claim Itanium2 as all-around superior based on one benchmark. We already knew Itanium2 rules for FP math, but it also seems to drag for integer ops

The time systemes get in hand of customer Madison will be out or just a bit late.TPC I2 offe the best result by far over any RSIC base much better that even Power 4 i guess you admit Power is much faster cpu that any X86.

Xeon MP gallatin 2.5 GHZ is release this month with 4MB as i know this will be faster opteron got trouble fighting with Xeon DP at 2.8 there faster version.

In every segment Intel got something to update there ligne in next 2 month exception to DP.

Maybe 200 more ghz on opteron and few driver/bios update during this time.We can scale perf to add a 15% it low compare to Xeon MP and Madison.

Yes perf is not at is best on Int but on HPC most of computing is FPU.

[-peep-] french

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
And how much do XeonMP's and Itanium 2's cost?

How much does the huge L3 cache of the Itanium 2 help its performance compared to opteron, and with that in mind how much do you think the added cache of xeon is going to help it?

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
L3 cache help more I2 even if Xeon have more.

Cost is not the supoject when you buy 80000 TB of ram paying few thousnd more for a 2X faster cpu you dont care.When you pay a 100 000 for software you dont want you systemes to crash you just pay for hardware.

[-peep-] french

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
Impressive to say the least. Server-level performance is certainly as expected, very good. There are, of course, problems in cases when software was not NUMA-aware and this was pointed out before. Hopefully, updated versions will solve this problem. But all around it looks like a very powerful chip. Now if only they could scale it.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
And we are dealing with a product at the START of its cycle... boards, drivers, bios'es will all undoubtedly get optimised in the future.

<b>Now can someone explain how we ever got the idea that baby bunnies lay multicolored eggs made of chocolate in our living rooms?" :lol: </b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images</A>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
From the TPC i have see still in the Pentium range so yes as Xeon is now use in many server.To road to be the main 64 bit platform is a long road.

[-peep-] french