[SOLVED] Acessing C: files of a HD that I removed from a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2020
Hi there, I have recently encountered my worst nightmare. My laptop stuck and then it won't just allow me to log in the win 10 OS. When I turn it on I get BSOD with error "Unmountable Boot Volume". I can't get into safe mode, this shows up when its trying to load the windows. I tried to boot with a cd boot but i get the same. I wanted to be able to recover this HD, but if not possible, what's most important for me is to recover some data on it, like photos and office documents. Could it be possible to recover it using an external method? When I plug my HD to a laptop it shows me the partitions but not the C: Please help if you can, I spent a lot of time doing 1 presentation and its there. 😥 Thanks in advance

Solution
What do you actually mean?
It means that this drive and partition has failed.
Dead. Pushing up the daisies. Bereft of life.

Assuming the system actually runs, install Autopsy.
Run it, and see if you can access any data from this particular drive.
This will take a LONG time.

At best, you might find some file fragments. But I would not expect to be able to recover a whole Powerpoint file.
And any "recovery" WILL require recovering to a different physical drive.

Or, the other 2 options:
  1. Send it to a recovery service. Which will cost money.
  2. Give up, and take this as a wakeup to institute a better backup regimen.
"Unmountable Boot Volume" = failed hard drive. Unlikely you will be able to recover anything yourself. Your best (only) hope is to get that drive to a recovery service and prepare to pay handsomely for recovery. If you attempt any sort of recovery on your own you just make it that much less likely that even the experts can recover anything.

As to "I spent a lot of time doing 1 presentation and its there. " Why isn't there a backup (or 2 or 3) of such an important file/s? Consider this a valuable lesson for the future.

Mar 9, 2020
"Unmountable Boot Volume" = failed hard drive. Unlikely you will be able to recover anything yourself. Your best (only) hope is to get that drive to a recovery service and prepare to pay handsomely for recovery. If you attempt any sort of recovery on your own you just make it that much less likely that even the experts can recover anything.

As to "I spent a lot of time doing 1 presentation and its there. " Why isn't there a backup (or 2 or 3) of such an important file/s? Consider this a valuable lesson for the future.

Thank you for your reply. To be honest, this isn't't the first time that happens, and happens that I keep an external disk of almost everything. This presentation is a powerpoint but I did forgot to make a back up. I really need to think about saving things on the cloud! Im really not ready to spend so much money 😫 Ohh terrible luck

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Can this drive be placed into an external USB carrier and tried as a data drive on another computer? Or, do have you a data recovery USB or DVD boot and, if the HD can be accessed and read, use that to copy off your presentation to another USB device?
Do not attempt any DIY HDD diagnostics or tests or drive repair until all data recovery efforts have been exhausted, getting your presentation onto another media - if problem HDD can be accessed and read -- is the most important thing to do right now.

Mar 9, 2020
Can this drive be placed into an external USB carrier and tried as a data drive on another computer? Or, do have you a data recovery USB or DVD boot and, if the HD can be accessed and read, use that to copy off your presentation to another USB device?
Do not attempt any DIY HDD diagnostics or tests or drive repair until all data recovery efforts have been exhausted, getting your presentation onto another media - if problem HDD can be accessed and read -- is the most important thing to do right now.
Hi, thank you for your reply. What I tried is, I created a boot DVD, but even that wont boot because it shows again the BSOD with same error. What I have tried to is, connecting my HDD as external using another computer. The HDD is easily detected and the partitions on it as well on "My Computer". The only partition that doesn't't show up is the C: of that HDD and that's where my work is. So I was wondering, since the HDD is easily being detected, might not be all lost yet. If there was a way...I keep on searching...

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
There is a long shot, MiniTool Professional Data Recovery, back when I purchased it, includes a module for partition recovery. Rumor has it MiniTool has a free partition sniffer -- I don't know. There are several free and fee partition recovery programs, either separate or bundled with data recovery -- I hope one of those out there will work for you.

Mar 9, 2020
There is a long shot, MiniTool Professional Data Recovery, back when I purchased it, includes a module for partition recovery. Rumor has it MiniTool has a free partition sniffer -- I don't know. There are several free and fee partition recovery programs, either separate or bundled with data recovery -- I hope one of those out there will work for you.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will give this a try and kiss my luck. I will then update here the results of it🤞

Mar 9, 2020
Given all that you've tried, it doesn't look good.

Please show us a screencap of the Disk Management window, while this drive is connected to your desktop.
I have just plugged it and its showing, here is the screenshot of it, the culprit is surrounded by red🧐
Ups, Im trying to share the image here using Gyazo, but it just dont allow me, so how to share a screenshot here, any suggestions?

USAFRet

Titan
What do you actually mean?

At best, you might find some file fragments. But I would not expect to be able to recover a whole Powerpoint file.
And any "recovery" WILL require recovering to a different physical drive.

Or, the other 2 options:
  1. Send it to a recovery service. Which will cost money.
  2. Give up, and take this as a wakeup to institute a better backup regimen.

Solution
Mar 9, 2020

Right...well thanks for the explanation. Just my luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.