[SOLVED] Acessing subnet from main network

AndyDalis

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
I have a subnet for my setup on my home network, note I'm not the Admin of the home net. I wanted to access my pi server from my laptop connected to the wifi network that is not connected to my small subnet using putty. I tried to connect over SSH but that timed out, I tried a ping test which also timed out. I have port forwarded port 22 on my subneta already. This is completely just for fun as I know I can SSH into my server on my computer.

The network
  • Main Router and Modem xxx.xxx.0.xx
    • Switch xxx.xxx.0.xx
      • WiFi access points x4
      • Switch for TV Room
        • TV equipment
      • Switch for offices and my room
        • Office Ethernet port
        • My router xxx.xxx.0.xx
          • raspberry pi server - xxx.xxx.1.xx
          • my computer - xxx.xxx.1.xx

Solution
I have a subnet for my setup on my home network, note I'm not the Admin of the home net. I wanted to access my pi server from my laptop connected to the wifi network that is not connected to my small subnet using putty. I tried to connect over SSH but that timed out, I tried a ping test which also timed out. I have port forwarded port 22 on my subneta already. This is completely just for fun as I know I can SSH into my server on my computer.

The network
    • Switch xxx.xxx.0.xx
      • WiFi access points x4
      • Switch for TV Room
        • TV equipment
        • Office Ethernet port
        • My router xxx.xxx.0.xx
          • raspberry pi server - xxx.xxx.1.xx...

kanewolf

Titan

The network
    • Switch xxx.xxx.0.xx
      • WiFi access points x4
      • Switch for TV Room
        • TV equipment
        • Office Ethernet port
        • My router xxx.xxx.0.xx
          • raspberry pi server - xxx.xxx.1.xx
          • my computer - xxx.xxx.1.xx
Assuming you have the ethernet plugged into the WAN port of "My router", then to access the PI from WIFI provided by the WIFI APs, you have to punch holes into the firewall on "My router". You could port forward SSH port to the PI.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Assuming you have the ethernet plugged into the WAN port of "My router", then to access the PI from WIFI provided by the WIFI APs, you have to punch holes into the firewall on "My router". You could port forward SSH port to the PI.
Yep, this is it. You basically have a separate network that behaves just like an external network so you have to port forward/dmz/whatever to enable external packets to hit the Pi.