ACPI_BIOS_ERROR during boot up

Hubertus_1

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
I own a 3 year old Sony Laptop that cycles with an ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.

The laptop was very expensive, sent it to repair. Sony repair says, they will replace the motherboard for US $ 900,- (800 Euro). That's 2/3 of the price I bought it.

What did I try:

- there is a minor BIOS update on the Sony support page. Downloaded it.
Since I have no way to start a Windows 64bit, the update can not be started.

- The Sony has an 'Assist' button, that starts the Laptop into BIOS and recovery.
Recovery does not work (?), BIOS has been set to default. The BIOS has no entry for ACPI

- Windows key + b key during power on has no function on this laptop. Tried several times :-(

- tried external boot via Windows 10 PE - same error comes up after boot.

- tried external boot with Windows XP PE and pressing F7 to switch off ACPI
For this mode I had to set the BIOS from UEFI to 'legacy'. Windows XP PE starts and I tried to update the BIOS in Windows XP, but this does not work. The BIOS update requires a 64bit operating system. Btw., using the 'legacy' mode does not show the built in SSD HD in Windows XP PE x86.

So, kind of chicken - egg/problem. I wonder if this is a BIOS fault or a hardware fault, because Sony wants to replace the complete motherboard (?)

Anyone has a hint for me please ?

rgds

Could be a corrupt RAM or HDD. Can you try different ones? I know it's a laptop so its a pain but as you have ruled out Windows it sounds like hardware has been corrupted. Did you completely format your hard drive so it was empty before reinstalling? Have you run memtest86 and CrystalDiskCheck? What does Event Viewer log say? Could be a bricked motherboard too but I'd say thats least likely tbh.

Hubertus_1

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

no, can and will not open the machine. External Windows 10 PE x64 from DVD comes with an ACPI error too,
so there is no internal HD problem.

it was a running anf functioning Win 8.1 machine and all of a sudden this error came up. No way to boot the
original Win 8.1. It loops during boot.

good hint! will boot from an external DVD and run memtest86 and CrystalDiskCheck

no Windows, no event log :-(

Did run the Windows XP PE x86 from external CD. No hickups etc. Yes, during boot I had to press F7 to switch off ACPI of the Windows XP PE, otherwise it comes with an A5 stop.

As I said, any external x64 from DVD will bring the ACPI error, so no way to fully boot a machine.

Still wonder, is ACPI a hardware element or part of the BIOS ?

rgds

Comes from a Windows disc? I dont understand how that rules out an internal hard drive problem.. http://www.solvusoft.com/en/errors/blue-screen-errors/microsoft-corporation/windows-operating-system/bug-check-0xa5-acpi-bios-error/ ACPI is firmware related and could indicate OS, firmware or hardware problems. Did you get the exception value or any other details from the error?

Hubertus_1

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016

No, the laptop boots up, brings a blue screen (not the usual BSOD) and says in the language of the Windows
that there is a 'problem', it will 'collect data' and shows a 'ACPI_BIOS_ERROR'. This cycles on and on, never
stops. It never comes to a full Windows, this happens very early after power on.

Booting from an external DVD brings the same on any Windows PE 8 or 10. Proof - I have a Windows 10 PE
in a different language - it shows that error message in that language.

Hubertus_1

Commendable
Sep 26, 2016
So the solution to my problem is wired and strange.

Sony has a BIOS update on their support page. As I said, it requires a working Windows x64 to run that BIOS update.
Since I had no chance with any Windows in X64 I tried all kind of external 'life' CD / DVD

Ran memory test for hours, no error showed up.

With a Linux magazine came a DVD with several 'life' Linux versions. Using the external DVD drive, as I did all the time,
I set in the BIOS to boot from external device and started Ubuntu 16.4 with the option 'without ACPI', because as my
experience showed me - any x64 Windows will bring the ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.

Surprise, the Ubuntu 16.4 with the option 'without ACPI' started and I had a full Ubuntu on the screen. A 'life' system
on the screen, not installed to the HD.

Now I dared to try to boot the Ubuntu without selecting 'without ACPI' - so it's an 64bit Ubuntu with ACPI. Surprise, it worked!

Was on the way to give up the Windows on the laptop and install an Ubuntu. But gave it another try. Switched the BIOS
to boot from internal HD .... IT WORKED - the installed Windows did not show any error message. Laptop was kind of healed (?)

Therefore I immediately ran the Sony BIOS update. Since that time the laptop works as supposed.

Makes me a little bit wonder - did either the boot option of Ubuntu 'without ACPI' change something,
or do I have an intermittent hardware error, that is gone for now?

Thanks for all the answers!