"Activate Windows" screen constantly pops up

michaelkellam

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
So, at around late June/Early July of 2014, I bought Windows 8, and It was great. Early this month of January, I upgraded and got a new motherboard, CPU, and added a 180gb SSD, which I then installed Windows 8 on. Now, it prompts me with that message to activate windows. I assumed that it was because my HDD had Windows 8 installed on it with the same key, so I just wiped my HDD hoping that that would fix my problem. Sadly, it didn't. Is there something else I have to do to get rid of this message and legitimately activate Windows?

Thanks for answers in advance.

Solution
A change in motherboard will require another activation of Windows. Key is not stored on HDD.
You need to reinstall Window 8 if your old windows was window 8.1. Reinstall windows and enter your product key. Then activate it within windows. You may need to use Microsoft automated service to renew your license. Then after that you have activated your license with your new motherboard. You can then install window updates and update to window 8.1.
A change in motherboard will require another activation of Windows. Key is not stored on HDD.
You need to reinstall Window 8 if your old windows was window 8.1. Reinstall windows and enter your product key. Then activate it within windows. You may need to use Microsoft automated service to renew your license. Then after that you have activated your license with your new motherboard. You can then install window updates and update to window 8.1.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

When it says 'activate', did you enter the Windows 8 key you bought?