Activating Apartment Ethernet Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2018
Hi,

I live in an apartment complex and each apartment has 8 ethernet ports, 2 in each room.
The router is in the living room and works great for wifi, except, in my room, it isn't as consistent so I would like to plug an ethernet cable into my computer which has a port next to it.

I found the modem in one of the closets as if you look at the picture, it has a bunch of wiring.

4smvlh.jpg

From the modem, there is a black ethernet cable that connects to 7F on the cat.5e panel to the right. Then there is that green thing that has ethernet connections but nothing in them. There is also a random white ethernet wire sitting in there not connected to anything.

So how do I get my port in my room to work? Thanks.

modem->router->switch (lan ports on router)-> patch panel

since your router is in another area you may need to use two ports to get WAN into one and LAN back to the switch $15.
if not possible to get two ports to it then a or b below.

A: nest router- buy a cheap router $25 and put in the box no wifi. configure to different subnets or make the 2nd an AP.
B: put the router in the box turn off wifi and buy a unifi AP Lite $80 for wifi.
add a switch to either of these to get more lan ports connected.

Agreed. Even an IT tech that has been in the biz since 14.4 and earlier shouldn't mess with any existing wiring within a leased property. There's an electrical issue that the tenant. a master electrician, could easily fix. He still needs to call his property manager. That's why they are there, they manage the property which includes the ethernet connection.

The simplest noninvasive solution is to add an appropriate cable.

Green thing? Yep, call them.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree. You must contact the Complex/Property Manager.

We have no way of knowing whether or not you are attempting to access someone else's network or service.

Forum rules prohibit assisting with such things.

Per aquielsunari and the other preceding posts you must "call them".

Thread is being closed accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.