Activating my win version after 29 july

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xc311

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
I ordered a refurbished pc build it will arrive first week in august , I'm planing to
order a windows 7 pro OEM dvd from amazon to install it on that machine.

my question is : If I installed & activated windows 7 pro after 29 July will it be qualified to upgrade to win 10 or it must be activated before win10 release date in
order to get advantage of Microsoft offer ?

Xc311

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
if that so. isn't that a loophole in windows upgrade path ?
why should i pay 199$ when i can get it for at least 79 bucks ?!

thanks for answering

USAFRet

Titan

No loophole.
And it isn't $199, the regular Win 10 version will retail at $119.

USAFRet

Titan

I've not seen any statement like that.

Consider this:
I have a currently running Windows 7.
I reinstall and reactivate in October this year.
Then I choose the upgrade, so as to start from a clean OS.

No problem.

I remember something about them not letting you if you Buy Windows 7/8 AFTER windows 10 comes out you can't get the free upgrade.

USAFRet

Titan

As said, I've not seen any statement like that. I could be wrong, though.

From the FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq
-----------------------------------------------
Are there any qualification requirements?

The only requirements are that a) your device is compatible, and b) you’re running genuine Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Windows 8.1 (Update).

Windows 10 is designed to run on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs. That means your device is likely compatible and will run Windows 10.1
------------------------------------------------------
And of course before July 29, 2016.

Well, I'm wrong, which is good. I'm pretty sure I was remembering to like the first announcement of the free-upgrade that Microsoft may have changed or later said differently.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/buy-windows-78-after-july-29th-still-get-free/9d86edb1-9b0c-4350-95d9-7102b083a44b?tm=1436907194291

Xc311

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
USAFRet ::: I'm buying windows 7 pro,which M$ offer me to upgrade to windows 10 pro for free ... windows 10 pro retail DVD will cost 199$
windows 7 pro OEM DVD will cost at least 79$ in amazon ..
so it a loophole ... maybe they know but they don't care - which i doubt - becouse
as Mankar Kameran mentioned they want all aboard to gain more profit from MS store and their ecosystem

and there is a deference between Activating for the 1st time and Reactivating which is the 2nd time .. and off course M$ logged the 1st one with date and time and they keep the records in their servers ..

James all the fuzz is about the first time i activate windows 7 dose it have to
be before 29 july 2015 to get the offer . or ok after that but just before july 2016
which is a loophole causing them to lose profit from selling win10 .. a company like M$ missing that make you wander are they blind or there a interior motive that come with a bag full of conspiracy theories like a new sophisticated NSA backdoor .. etc Or it just pure business and strategic plan to get futuristic benefit .

USAFRet

Titan
As long as you do the Upgrade to Win 10 (Pro or otherwise) before July 29, 2016...you are fine.
Unless someone has seen specific text from MS refuting this.

The 'ulterior motive' is simply that they want to move people off Windows 7 (old), and remove the taint of Win 8/8.1.

Think of this as a big service pack.

Xc311

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
USAFRet

And if it doesn't Upgrade to 10 for free, guess what...you still have a fully functional OS, which will receive security updates until January 2020.
(but it will upgrade to 10)

the whole point was to get windows 10 pro as cheap as it get, i was considering
getting windows 8.1 Pro OEM then i changed my mind after i tried win10
insider program in my virtual machine..

i will wait, try and see. if the upgrade was successful i will come back and
chose your answer as solution ..
if not I will sue you :fou: << just kiddin' :D

USAFRet

Titan

Your upgrade to Win 10 may be a while. Not every system will see it instantly on July 29.

Xc311

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015

Acknowledged

Thenks for conforming what already USAFret said

Status
Not open for further replies.