[SOLVED] Activating windows 10 pro problems

Nov 22, 2021
Hi,

I've got quite an annoying problem for you.

I've recently built a new PC and in my stupidity I didn't create a windows recovery media or installation media from the old PC, which had windows 10 pro.

My new PC won't boot from my nvme drive containing windows 10 pro so I have installed windows 10 on another drive, but of course the installation media installs windows 10 home.

I know windows is tied to hardware but troubleshooting windows activation gives the option to click "I have recently changed hardware on this device". Then clicking "see other devices linked to your account", I can see my "old" pc with windows 10 pro with the error "edition doesn't match".

Can I force a home -> pro upgrade without activating so that the editions match and I can then activate? There's a "default key" on the interwebs but this doesn't work for me.

Thanks. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

Solution
If you have installed Win Home and the key is for Pro, you need to reinstall Pro and then work towards the activation that you (hopefully) tied to your MS account.
The installer direct from MS allows you to pick from a variety of flavors with a list right in the beginning of the install. Pick the same version you had. Since it's different hardware you will likely need to use the "I don't have a key" option then once you are online surf to your account details on MS and see what keys are tied to your account.

As above, even if this Win 8 to 10 upgrade was on an OEM machine it is likely not transferrable. The good news aspect is that you can continue to use 10 (for now) without being registered you just cannot do certain...
Where did your license come from? If from an OEM PC like a Dell or HP it’s not transferable. If it’s a legitimate copy you bought you should have it either tied to your Microsoft account or have the original key. If you have a legitimate license and cannot activate then a call to Microsoft should be all you need.

Nov 22, 2021
Where did your license come from? If from an OEM PC like a Dell or HP it’s not transferable. If it’s a legitimate copy you bought you should have it either tied to your Microsoft account or have the original key. If you have a legitimate license and cannot activate then a call to Microsoft should be all you need.
It's still from my windows 8 pro upgrade but I don't have the original windows 8 key

Nov 22, 2021
Same outcomes apply. If you hadn’t tied the license to your Microsoft account and have lost the key then I think you are out of luck. You can try MS but unless they can verify you as the owner of the license I’m not sure what they can do.
I'm sure it's tied to my MS account, what do I do if it is?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you have installed Win Home and the key is for Pro, you need to reinstall Pro and then work towards the activation that you (hopefully) tied to your MS account.
The installer direct from MS allows you to pick from a variety of flavors with a list right in the beginning of the install. Pick the same version you had. Since it's different hardware you will likely need to use the "I don't have a key" option then once you are online surf to your account details on MS and see what keys are tied to your account.

As above, even if this Win 8 to 10 upgrade was on an OEM machine it is likely not transferrable. The good news aspect is that you can continue to use 10 (for now) without being registered you just cannot do certain personalization mods, such as picking a theme.

Solution
Nov 22, 2021

As above, even if this Win 8 to 10 upgrade was on an OEM machine it is likely not transferrable. The good news aspect is that you can continue to use 10 (for now) without being registered you just cannot do certain personalization mods, such as picking a theme.
The installer from ms didn't give me the option to choose between home or pro

Nov 22, 2021
Then any activation issues should be supported by MS. By activating a Pro key I’d expect Home to upgrade to Pro.
The problem is, Microsoft have supposedly automated all of this and so I can't just go to my ms account and see a windows 10 pro key to activate. The only key I had would've been in the original windows 8 pro box which is long gone.