Activation - can I reinstall my OEM Windows on new motherboard?

Feb 16, 2018
Hello,
I don't know if this, what happened to me, is common and someone of you have experienced this, however:

I had an OEM Lenovo IC H535 PC with preinstalled Windows 8.1. After few years of usage, I was upgrading some components (GPU, PSU etc.) and I upgraded my CPU + motherboard recently, too. I thought it will require a purchase of new license, because as I checked via slmgr before, it came from OEM_DM channel. But it doesn't. I connected my HDD, which is still original from the Lenovo, even with the recovery partitions, to the new motherboard, it went through the "Getting devices ready" stage and it normally booted up. However, it was saying that "Windows is not activated", so I clicked on the "Activate Windows" link, it redirected me to PC settings app, and the only thing it said was "Thanks, you are all done", and it was activated. Sadly, I experience that it is slowing down, and I'm suspecting that tons of old drivers, which are not needed, especially when the old motherboard was AMD and I'm now running on Intel's (Asus B85M-G).

I have the product key extracted from the UEFI, so my question is: can I reinstall Windows on new motherboard with this license? I WON'T be using the same license on another PC, it will be running only on this PC and I won't be using the old motherboard.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

If you have any questions, I suggest calling Microsoft.

To activate Windows 8.1 by phone:
1.Select the Start button , enter PC settings, and then select PC settings from the list of results.
2.Select Activate Windows, and then select Contact customer support for help.
Administrator permission required
You may be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
3.Select your location (or the location nearest you) from the drop-down list, and then select Next.
4.Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you...
- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

If you have any questions, I suggest calling Microsoft.

To activate Windows 8.1 by phone:
1.Select the Start button , enter PC settings, and then select PC settings from the list of results.
2.Select Activate Windows, and then select Contact customer support for help.
Administrator permission required
You may be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
3.Select your location (or the location nearest you) from the drop-down list, and then select Next.
4.Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

Solution