Activation code for MSI motherboard? Help!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc (More info?)

I had a problem with a homebuilt PC with an MSI motherboard. It's a K7T
Turbo 2 MS-6330 v5.X ATX motherboard, with an Award BIOS, and it's running
SUSE Linux 9.1.

I left home awhile back, shutting off the computer. When I returned and
tried to start the computer, it wouldn't. It just wouldn't switch on.

I took the machine to a repairman. He told me that this kind of motherboard
is designed so that you can reset the BIOS by pushing the power switch of
the computer in a certain pattern. He did this and the computer started
running. I took it home and couldn't get it to start, but I called him
back and he told me what to do. Once again, the computer started.

I have checked the manual for my motherboard, but it says nothing about
this. Have any of you ever heard of a pattern of on-off switching that can
somehow reset the motherboard? If so, please drop me a line. Thanks.

dang why you need an activation code ??

Cowly the Game player

Please click on my links
http://spacefed.com
http://gc.gamestotal.org
http://uc.gamestotal.org
http://aw.gamestotal.org
http://www.gamestotal.org
http://3700ad.gamestotal.com
http://www.spacefederation.net
http://www.gamestotal.org/news/
http://ballmonster.gamestotal.com
http://www.spacefederation.net/manual/
http://gc.gamestotal.org/i.cfm?p=aboutgc
http://uc.gamestotal.org/i.cfm?p=aboutgc
http://www.gamestotal.org/corp/
http://www.gamestotal.org/strategygames/

Hiawatha Bray wrote:
> I had a problem with a homebuilt PC with an MSI motherboard. It's a K7T
> Turbo 2 MS-6330 v5.X ATX motherboard, with an Award BIOS, and it's running
> SUSE Linux 9.1.
>
> I left home awhile back, shutting off the computer. When I returned and
> tried to start the computer, it wouldn't. It just wouldn't switch on.

[snip]

Why don't you start by going to the MSI website and contacting Support?

http://www.msicomputer.com/

Andrew

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:57:31 GMT, Hiawatha Bray <watha@monitortan.com>
wrote:

>I have checked the manual for my motherboard, but it says nothing about
>this. Have any of you ever heard of a pattern of on-off switching that can
>somehow reset the motherboard? If so, please drop me a line. Thanks.

You might mean CTL-ALT-Delete which I think restores the default BIOS
settings or something. Why you are asking in this group I have no idea
though.

Andrew

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:18:28 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>You might mean CTL-ALT-Delete which I think restores the default BIOS
>settings or something.

Oops, sorry, I don't know why I type CTL-ALT-Delete, I meant the "Ins"
key.

wrote:

>I had a problem with a homebuilt PC with an MSI motherboard. It's a K7T
>Turbo 2 MS-6330 v5.X ATX motherboard, with an Award BIOS, and it's running
>SUSE Linux 9.1.
>
>I left home awhile back, shutting off the computer. When I returned and
>tried to start the computer, it wouldn't. It just wouldn't switch on.
>
>I took the machine to a repairman. He told me that this kind of motherboard
>is designed so that you can reset the BIOS by pushing the power switch of
>the computer in a certain pattern. He did this and the computer started
>running. I took it home and couldn't get it to start, but I called him
>back and he told me what to do. Once again, the computer started.
>
>I have checked the manual for my motherboard, but it says nothing about
>this. Have any of you ever heard of a pattern of on-off switching that can
>somehow reset the motherboard? If so, please drop me a line. Thanks.

Nope. When you say it doesn't come on, do you mean that no fans spin?
If so, buy a decent power supply, yours obviously isn't up to the
task.

I thought taking out the CMOS battery for 20 seconds or so achieved the same
thing?

Qv

"Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in message

> [snip]
>
> Why don't you start by going to the MSI website and contacting Support?
>
> http://www.msicomputer.com/

I think contacting MSI support is easier said than done.

In my case, I discovered that my MSI video card was misbehaving because they
had flashed it with the wrong BIOS. I sent them several emails and posted on
the MSI forums, but never received any response. Eventually, I just modified
another manufacturer's BIOS and fixed it myself.

"Les Steel" <a@aolnot.com> wrote:
>I thought taking out the CMOS battery for 20 seconds or so achieved the same
>thing?

It's that kind of talk that got us all killed by Skynet.