Activation code OEM query

capa

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
I have inherited my uncles Compaq Presario 2190US Notebook PC. The laptop was super duper slow and clogged up with a lot of junk programmes. I decided to wipe it clean however I do not have the restore CD and there was no restore partition on the hard drive.

The Windows XP Home Edition activation Serial number is on the base of the laptop and I cannot afford to buy a new copy of windows. I assume this is what OEM mean?

I downloaded a copy of Windows XP Home Edition OEM Service Pack 2 and attempted to activate it with the product code but it wouldn't take.

I assume it's because the laptop possibly came with a different Service Pack install although I can't be entirely sure.

Can anyone advise me how I can get the serial key to activate?

capa

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
My uncle cannot place the discs what so ever and is poorly.

I was hoping for an alternative such as a way to find out which Service pack the laptop and serial originally linked to. Download a copy and just install it..

If that's even possible.

You will really have to contact Microsoft activation support. If you re-install the same version of Windows on an OEM licensed machine they may be happy to provide what you need, since you are entitled to a license. At least, I hope so.

capa

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
OK. I shall give them a call.

I thought if the laptop came with say Windows XP Home Edition OEM Service Pack 1 for example I could simply install the exact same copy of Windows as above and the serial would work as the hardware of the laptop remain unchanged from date of purchase.

capa

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
I've only tried service pack 2. I'll try once again with a service pack 3 version, failing that I'll give them Microsoft a call.