Activation, product key, recovery

Panderam

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
I'm in a bit of a pickle and it's driving me crazy. Some background: I recently wanted to do a full recovery of my laptop because I was experiencing issues such as freezing and GPU driver issues that I couldn't seem to resolve. I had previously upgraded from W8.1 to W10. When I attempted recovery, I got a BSOD telling me that it had encountered problems with the installation of the OS. So I made a bootable usb-stick with W8.1 using Microsoft's recovery utility.

Now we're reaching the heart of the problem: my product key and activation. I did not have my product key at hand. I found out that the product key was encrypted in the BIOS and that it would apply itself automatically when prompted(?). It didn't, however, since this was W8.1 and not just W8 and for some reason that's different. After some googling I found this https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx which helped me activate Windows, atleast temporarily. I managed to find the product key embedded in BIOS, but it tells me it doesn't work for this version of Windows. Any ideas as to what I should do now? Is there some way to install just W8 so I can see if my product key will work then?

Solution
Problem solved, if anyone is reading this. It was simply that my product key was registered to the home edition of Windows 8, not the pro which I had installed.
If this happened to me, I'd restore from the full system backup I made before doing the upgrade. If it was less than 30 days after you upgraded, you could go to Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery and revert. If neither of these applies in your case, you'll probably need to get in touch with Microsoft to find out what you can do. Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.

Panderam

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
Problem solved, if anyone is reading this. It was simply that my product key was registered to the home edition of Windows 8, not the pro which I had installed.

Solution