Activation question windows 10

I recently built a new rig with a single user edition of windows 10 home. The computer worked and was activated. I then (the next day) realized that 2 of the dimm slots were not functioning and I had to use it in single channel mode. I rma'd the board and received it yesterday. (same board) Rig went together perfectly this time but I thought for sure I would have an issue with activation. Windows IS still activated. Do you think I am in the clear, or do you think it will catch up to me in the future possible requiring a call to Microsoft? Thanks in advance...

Solution

Win 10 is different.
We out here are in uncharted territory, regarding windows licensing, upgrades, and part changes.

Your particular thing may work forever. Or it may choke at the next update.
Or is may choke at the next major Upgrade.
(those are 2 different things)

USAFRet

Titan

Maybe. Changing parts, MS licensing is a murky pit of unknowns.

The way to have prevented any issues would have been to link a MS account to the OS install. This is new as of the Anniversary Release, v.1607.

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
You're good. I suspect you log into Windows with a Microsoft account. Their recent update to the activation process considers your MS account as well as an unknown hash of your computer pieces.
In the past, a motherboard change would almost certainly require a phone call.

USAFRet

Titan

Win 10 is different.
We out here are in uncharted territory, regarding windows licensing, upgrades, and part changes.

Your particular thing may work forever. Or it may choke at the next update.
Or is may choke at the next major Upgrade.
(those are 2 different things)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS