[SOLVED] Active Directory on Windows Server 2012: Requirements (for 30 users) and permission granting?

Mar 15, 2020
Hi all,

I'm working as an amateur IT support for a architecture company and I am assigned to deploy Active Directory for 30 users/workstations on a server running Windows Server 2012. I'm new to this area and I have done some reseearch but it's all tangled and I have no idea what to do.

Here is the situation:
  • No of workstations: 30
  • Server specs: CPU E3-1235L v5 and 16 GB of RAM
  • Software: using workstattions' CPUs and each workstation has its own storage
  • Employees will move from one workstation to another and all mapped network drives need to remain (I have tried using 2 AD accounts - A and B, for example - on 1 workstation and I have to re-map all network drives for account B though I mapped to account A previously)
  • The purpose of Active Directory is to grant permission to access partitions the employees are allowed to and when employees move between workstations, everything should be ready (e.g not having to remap drives, etc.)

My questions are:
1/ What are the minimum system requirements for 30 workstations (server hardware, networking, etc.)? We all work in office, not remotely (via VPN).
2/ Is it possible to make it work like Internet Cafe (all softwares are stored in the Server, all workstations run diskless)
3/ If I use VPN for a computer to work remotely, will that computer be able to use AD as a local workstation.

Thank you all.

Solution
  1. If you run only AD on the server, that/s enough.
  2. Yes, it's possible, but you'll need quite a budget for everything (hardware, software, networking).
  3. Yes, if sp configured.

But I second @Ralsont18 here - the way the questions are asked seems a lot like a homework.

Ralston18

Titan
Your post seems to be a homework-like question.

We do not do homework assignments.

No way to know for sure but what you should do is provide what you believe are the answers to your 3 questions.

Include the whats, why's, wherefores, reasoning, etc..

Then request comments and suggestions.

1. If you run only AD on the server, that/s enough.
  2. Yes, it's possible, but you'll need quite a budget for everything (hardware, software, networking).
  3. Yes, if sp configured.

But I second @Ralsont18 here - the way the questions are asked seems a lot like a homework.

Solution