active hdmi/dvi to vga converter with audio point

Jul 24, 2018
What is the purpose of audio point in some hdmi/dvi to vga converter? I want to buy a hdmi/dvi to vga converter for my pc, gpu is Zotac GT 1030 and monitor is Samsung S19F350, do I need an audio point one? Plz explain. Thanks.

Solution
"DirectX sound device' - means your sound card has DirectX compatible drivers.
If you hear any sound coming from your headphones, then it's all good.
I assume you don't have audio on your monitor, but instead use speakers/headset. So you won't need an audio point on the display adapter as you already have audio.

I'm not really sure why they would include an audio port, only thing I can think of would be for people who don't have on-board audio and rely on the graphics card for their audio instead.

HDMI signal can carry audio together with video. With conversion HDMI to VGA - audio is being lost, so converter may have additional audio output.

But you don't necessary have to use it. You can configure your sound card to output audio via connected speakers.

Jul 24, 2018

I have pre-purchesed this game, I want to play this game https://store.steampowered.com/app/866800/The_Walking_Dead_The_Final_Season/ , it needs a directx 11 sound device, does my motherboard Gigabyte G31M-ES2C has it? Or Do I have depend on a HDMI/DVI to VGA converter with audio point? Plz tell.

Jul 24, 2018

Yes, I am currently using a headphone with mic, but what does it mean by 'directx sound device'? and does I have that on my motherboard?