[SOLVED] Active Mini-DP to VGA or DVI to VGA

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
Ok, so I live in the UK and am having issues finding an appropriate adapter to run my 3rd monitor from.
Graphics card XFX R9-280X.
Has 2 DVI-I ports (one has VGA stamped next to it and the other doesn't recognise a VGA monitor at all), 2 mini DP ports and 1 HDMI port.
From what I have found so far, it will only support 2 legacy connections active at once so I need to locate an appropriate ACTIVE adapter for the 3rd monitor.
I currently have a DVI-I to VGA adapter in the VGA capable port and a mini DP to vga in one of the mini DP ports but I get one of 2 problems when I connect a 2nd mini dp to vga adapter:
1) It displays 640x489 only on a 1440x900 monitor
Or 2) It detects the monitor but fails to display anything on it (Windows and Radeon software SEE the monitor but the monitor stas asleep)
I can find hundreds of mini displayport to vga adapters in the UK but only the crazy-priced ones confirm whether they are ACTIVE adapters or not. Can anyone recommend an ACTIVE mini displayport to VGA adapter or an ACTIVE DVI-I to vga adapter I can use with my 3rd monitor please?

Lutfij

Titan
You will need an active adapter but from what I think you're experiencing, You might need to try and reinstall your GPU drivers. Use DDU to uninstall the drivers and reinstall with the latest drivers found off of AMD's support site. Another thing you missed, is stating the make and models of the three monitors.

I noticed that PSU in your sig space...and it does not inspire confidence.

Dannypot

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
HP w1907v VGA only
Acer AL2016W VGA only
Dell E173PFs VGA only

PSU is 80+ certified and at least 150W OVER what I need for this system at full load so not too concerned about that. Even if Powercool isn't a high-end brand. But thanks for mentioning it, I will look into changing that once I have other issues resolved.

All 3 monitors are Vga only, no DVI, Displayport or HDMI option on any of them. One is connected to the DVI port on the card that has VGA stamped on it, one goes via a mini dp to vga adapter and the dell goes via the motherboard VGA port at present and using AMD Dual Graphics mode.

I need a link to an active DP or DVI to VGA adapter as every single one I find doesnt say whether it is active or not. But I'd prefer it not to cost an arm and a leg to buy lol

Dannypot

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
HP w1907v VGA only
Acer AL2016W VGA only
Dell E173PFs VGA only

PSU is 80+ certified and at least 150W OVER what I need for this system at full load so not too concerned about that. Even if Powercool isn't a high-end brand. But thanks for mentioning it, I will look into changing that once I have other issues resolved.

All 3 monitors are Vga only, no DVI, Displayport or HDMI option on any of them. One is connected to the DVI port on the card that has VGA stamped on it, one goes via a mini dp to vga adapter and the dell goes via the motherboard VGA port at present and using AMD Dual Graphics mode.

I need a link to an active DP or DVI to VGA adapter as every single one I find doesnt say whether it is active or not. But I'd prefer it not to cost an arm and a leg to buy lol
Additionally, the BIOS and windows treat the R9 as primary graphics and it is the Acer as monitor 1 (DVi port, the HP as 2 (Mini DP adapter) and the Dell is monitor 3 in Windows

daniel_542

Reputable
Jun 10, 2017
All DP to VGA adapters are active.
That just proves that adapter 2 is faulty then. Good to know though so thanks 😊
I have eventually decided that grabbing a cheap HDMI monitor is the best permanent fix for it though so am investigating my options now. But I'd like to thank everyone for their input on this matter