[SOLVED] Active or Passive HDMI Cable for Mac Mini...?

Tiger_Bite_Kid

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Newbie to Macs and computers in general.

I just bought a 2012 Mac Mini and I am planning on pairing it up with a 2008 Acer V223W monitor. The connection is going to be HDMI to DVI-D.

Does anyone know if I will need an active HDMI to DVI-D cable or will a passive one be fine? Also, Is uni-directional OK or do I need bi-directional...?

Tiger_Bite_Kid

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019

30 bucks for an adapter. Apple products are expensive!

1. Isn't it just simpler/better to go straight out of the Mac Mini and into the monitor without using an adapter at all? Why can't I just use an HDMI to DVI-D cable? Something like this. Will this cable/method not work?

2. If I do need a HDMI to DVI -D adapter, Would something like this suffice instead?

Thanks

Tiger_Bite_Kid

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
HDMI to DVI-D doesn't require active signal conversion. Simple HDMI->DVI-D cable is just fine.
(That is, if you do not require audio)

This is the answer I was hoping for.

I don't need audio to the monitor's speakers. I use an audio interface or DAC via a computer's USB for my audio needs.

Therefore, I started to research and look up which adapters and cables I would need and was already hoping that I could just use a simple HDMI to DVI-D cable and would not need some 'fancy' adapter that would do nothing and that would just cost me more money and headaches with the setup.