Active Sky V is out

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:52:30 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:

>I hope someone that had 4.5 will post a review of their findings with 5.0.
>
>Dallas

Several big threads on this on the MSFS forum at Avsim.com

Bob

Well, I couldn't resist after reading this post and I purchased
ActiveSky 5. I guess I should have let my cynicism control my
actions and should have waited for 5.1. This is buggy software.

1) After configuring for Online Updates, it just hangs.
However, if you manually select Download it works.

2) After several configuration dialogs, suddenly the online
updates get "Main thread error" and time out to the next refresh
cycle.

3) Several configuration dialogs simply generate errors that make
the program disappear.

On a purely aesthetic level, once again I'm very frustrated by
the user interface. It's very modal and overly complex for
simple things.

I was disappointed that I could not load new cloudscapes, or
change the resolution of cloudscapes from 256x256 to 512x512 in
real-time. This requires a restart of FS2004.

FS2004.5 was very reliable for me. I'm going back to that until
they fix these problems.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

Will wrote:

> I was disappointed that I could not load new cloudscapes, or
> change the resolution of cloudscapes from 256x256 to 512x512 in
> real-time. This requires a restart of FS2004.

I believe that this is a limitation of FS2004, not of AS, as no scenery
texture files can be hot-swapped.

--
Peter

I wrote:

> I believe that this is a limitation of FS2004, not of AS, as no scenery
> texture files can be hot-swapped.

Nope, I just realized I am wrong here. FS Sky World had a utility that
changed the cloud textures every x minutes while the sim was running as
a way to randomize the cloud appearances.

I was confusing this with terrain data, which is indexed at the start
of the sim. Sorry 'bout that.

--
Peter

"Will" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in message
> Well, I couldn't resist after reading this post and I purchased
> ActiveSky 5. I guess I should have let my cynicism control my
> actions and should have waited for 5.1. This is buggy software.
>
> 1) After configuring for Online Updates, it just hangs.
> However, if you manually select Download it works.
>
> 2) After several configuration dialogs, suddenly the online
> updates get "Main thread error" and time out to the next refresh
> cycle.
>
> 3) Several configuration dialogs simply generate errors that make
> the program disappear.
>
> On a purely aesthetic level, once again I'm very frustrated by
> the user interface. It's very modal and overly complex for
> simple things.
>
> I was disappointed that I could not load new cloudscapes, or
> change the resolution of cloudscapes from 256x256 to 512x512 in
> real-time. This requires a restart of FS2004.
>
> FS2004.5 was very reliable for me. I'm going back to that until
> they fix these problems.
>
> --

So far, I have had no problems with AS5 and I find the user interface easy
to use.

Victor

dallas

"Will"
> On a purely aesthetic level, once again I'm very frustrated by
> the user interface. It's very modal and overly complex for
> simple things.

I'll back you up there. Even with 4.5 the users manual and interface are
overly complex. I saw they added a whole new layer of complexity with the
cloud textures interface.

I'm sure I read the manual 5 times in 5 days and I still couldn't explain
exactly what ActiveSky actually does. I just know that everything looks
better when it's running. :)

Dallas

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:30:02 -0700, "Will"
<DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote:

>Well, I couldn't resist after reading this post and I purchased
>ActiveSky 5. I guess I should have let my cynicism control my
>actions and should have waited for 5.1. This is buggy software.
>
>1) After configuring for Online Updates, it just hangs.
>However, if you manually select Download it works.
>
>2) After several configuration dialogs, suddenly the online
>updates get "Main thread error" and time out to the next refresh
>cycle.
>
>3) Several configuration dialogs simply generate errors that make
>the program disappear.
>
>On a purely aesthetic level, once again I'm very frustrated by
>the user interface. It's very modal and overly complex for
>simple things.
>
>I was disappointed that I could not load new cloudscapes, or
>change the resolution of cloudscapes from 256x256 to 512x512 in
>real-time. This requires a restart of FS2004.
>
>FS2004.5 was very reliable for me. I'm going back to that until
>they fix these problems.

And the reason that you posted this here instead of the Active Sky
Forum on Avsim.com, where the authors of the program are answering all
questions is............?

Bob

Because I read the thread here...?

I'm in contact with the author separately. He assures me I am the only
person on the planet who has seen any bugs in the program, and we are trying
to work through the issues of why I'm the lucky guy.

--
Will
Internet: westes AT earthbroadcast.com

"Capt Bob" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> And the reason that you posted this here instead of the Active Sky
> Forum on Avsim.com, where the authors of the program are answering all
> questions is............?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Capt Bob wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:30:02 -0700, "Will"
> <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote:
>

>>Well, I couldn't resist after reading this post and I purchased
>>ActiveSky 5. I guess I should have let my cynicism control my
>>actions and should have waited for 5.1. This is buggy software.
>>
>>1) After configuring for Online Updates, it just hangs.
>>However, if you manually select Download it works.
>>
>>2) After several configuration dialogs, suddenly the online
>>updates get "Main thread error" and time out to the next refresh
>>cycle.
>>
>>3) Several configuration dialogs simply generate errors that make
>>the program disappear.
>>
>>On a purely aesthetic level, once again I'm very frustrated by
>>the user interface. It's very modal and overly complex for
>>simple things.
>>
>>I was disappointed that I could not load new cloudscapes, or
>>change the resolution of cloudscapes from 256x256 to 512x512 in
>>real-time. This requires a restart of FS2004.
>>
>>FS2004.5 was very reliable for me. I'm going back to that until
>>they fix these problems.
>

> And the reason that you posted this here instead of the Active Sky
> Forum on Avsim.com, where the authors of the program are answering all
> questions is............?
>

> Bob

I'll take a guess. .... Because so many people asked for a review???????

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 03:12:00 GMT, boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom>
wrote:

>Capt Bob wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:30:02 -0700, "Will"
>> <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Well, I couldn't resist after reading this post and I purchased
>>>ActiveSky 5. I guess I should have let my cynicism control my
>>>actions and should have waited for 5.1. This is buggy software.
>>>
>>>1) After configuring for Online Updates, it just hangs.
>>>However, if you manually select Download it works.
>>>
>>>2) After several configuration dialogs, suddenly the online
>>>updates get "Main thread error" and time out to the next refresh
>>>cycle.
>>>
>>>3) Several configuration dialogs simply generate errors that make
>>>the program disappear.
>>>
>>>On a purely aesthetic level, once again I'm very frustrated by
>>>the user interface. It's very modal and overly complex for
>>>simple things.
>>>
>>>I was disappointed that I could not load new cloudscapes, or
>>>change the resolution of cloudscapes from 256x256 to 512x512 in
>>>real-time. This requires a restart of FS2004.
>>>
>>>FS2004.5 was very reliable for me. I'm going back to that until
>>>they fix these problems.
>>

>> And the reason that you posted this here instead of the Active Sky
>> Forum on Avsim.com, where the authors of the program are answering all
>> questions is............?
>>

>> Bob
>
>I'll take a guess. .... Because so many people asked for a review???????

Well I have read dozens and dozens of reviews on the Avsim forums on
both the MSFS pages and the Active Sky forum and have yet to read of
anyone having these problems. Sounds like system problem or a
installation that went bad. The experts on this program are at
Avsim.com on the AS forum as I previously stated.

Bob

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Capt Bob wrote:

> Well I have read dozens and dozens of reviews on the Avsim forums on
> both the MSFS pages and the Active Sky forum and have yet to read of
> anyone having these problems. Sounds like system problem or a
> installation that went bad. The experts on this program are at
> Avsim.com on the AS forum as I previously stated.
>
> Bob

It doesn't matter. He was posting in regard to people "here" asking
about the program. He has no requirement to post to some AVSIM forum and
shouldn't be harassed about it.

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

crash

boB wrote:
> It doesn't matter. He was posting in regard to people "here" asking
> about the program. He has no requirement to post to some AVSIM forum
> and shouldn't be harassed about it.

Yes, agreed!!

BTW - I guess you found your towel............

Probably after snapping G..... errrr, never mind............

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don

CRaSH wrote:
> boB wrote:
>
>>It doesn't matter. He was posting in regard to people "here" asking
>>about the program. He has no requirement to post to some AVSIM forum
>>and shouldn't be harassed about it.
>

> Yes, agreed!!
>
> BTW - I guess you found your towel............
>
> Probably after snapping G..... errrr, never mind............
>
> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don

You know, Gabriella is looking quite good these days. We were out in the
yard when she brushed past a hornet nest and one went down the back of
her blouse and stung her. She ripped the blouse off before I could get
to her. Luckily we have a lot of privacy cuz I had to get the stinger
out. :)

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

___| reply |__________________________________________________________

You know, Gabriella is looking quite good these days. We were out in
the
yard when she brushed past a hornet nest and one went down the back of
her blouse and stung her. She ripped the blouse off before I could get
to her. Luckily we have a lot of privacy cuz I had to get the stinger
out. :)

No way I can top that. But here are some screenshots I made yesterday
and today with ASV. Not great art, and maybe they don't show the
program at its best. But they illustrate a couple of features that I
like:
http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=147&topic_id=20

dallas

"boB"
> She ripped the blouse off before I could get
> to her. Luckily we have a lot of privacy cuz I had to get the stinger
> out. :)

Kinky.

:)

Dallas