[SOLVED] Active vs Passive DP on RTX 3070 Eagle

Jun 30, 2021
Hi,

I have a new monitor coming in the mail and realised I've run out of HDMI ports. The Gigabyte 3070 Eagle I'm using has 2 HDMI and 2 DP ports, and I've not had to convert from DP before, on this or any other card.

I cannot for the life of me work out if the ports require an active adapter or not to go to HDMI, and googling it has only brought more confusion, so I figured maybe someone here would know.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Solution
Hi,

I have a new monitor coming in the mail and realised I've run out of HDMI ports. The Gigabyte 3070 Eagle I'm using has 2 HDMI and 2 DP ports, and I've not had to convert from DP before, on this or any other card.

I cannot for the life of me work out if the ports require an active adapter or not to go to HDMI, and googling it has only brought more confusion, so I figured maybe someone here would know.

Why not simply use the Display Ports? Most newer monitors should have that connection and it's usually better to use it since DP supports higher refresh rates at high resolutions than most HDMI versions.
Hi,

Why not simply use the Display Ports? Most newer monitors should have that connection and it's usually better to use it since DP supports higher refresh rates at high resolutions than most HDMI versions.

Solution