Activision-Blizzard Completes Purchase from Vivendi

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbousmoon100

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
With Kotick in the captain's chair, you can expect very little change. His priorities are and always will be his shareholders, not product quality.

raptorkill

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
And I was thinking of going Back to WoW, but if Kotick is all about profit and not consumer satisfaction then I will refrain.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Dunno if this is good for the consumers, risk is that it will benefit the shareholders at the expense of the customers.... I dont doubt for a second that we will see more things like Diablo 4 even worse that Diablo 3 in the future along with CoD 99 with the regular 3-4 map pack upgrades for insane prices.. Milk Milk Milk - That's the current ceo's only motto!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
@EVERYONEPOSTING

Its like all you dont realize that Blizzard has been tapped for talent for a long LONG time. The people there now know how to make an mmo, im sure starcraft was in some form of production sense before wow, so they still had competent people to lay the bones for that out so it wasn't a colossal failure, but look at diablo 3 and tell me that is the same company that made diablo 2?

Face it, Blizzard died with wow, and now all thats left is a corpse that clings to wow to survive.

And you all act like Kotick had the say on everything that happened. Like he was the villain that everyone should hate. He is a businessman, he has the money, you act like he is suppose to take a hit when it comes to game sales, which is retarded. Sure, he could fund lower risk cheap games, but that isn't in the best interest of the company as a whole. every big game maker has that problem of not knowing when to back the hell off, the only difference with activision is they make damn sure you are sick of it before they back off, none of this "it didn't sell as well as we hoped, so we canned it" crap, they go until they destroy a genre. You want an innovative game, you go the indies, you want a break in releases, you got the mid tier studios that take a few years on major games.

With that said, the last thing that people complain about is the engine for video games. "CoD had the same engine for blaa blaa blaa" well NEWS FLASH you don't have to build the graphics engine form the ground up over and over again if the hardware isn't changing.

contentsmayvary

Honorable
May 28, 2012
@alidan Diablo III was great - but the auction house spoiled it. What's the betting that was imposed by bean-counters? So now the AH is going away for the expansion, and didn't exist at all for the console version of DIII. Looks like the expansion will be great.

Also: Starcraft 2 is doing very well. You just need to look at the number of viewers it gets on twitch to see that.

And just wait and see how many people will play Hearthstone - sure, it's a niche online CCG, but it's awesome fun and extremely polished (like all Blizzard games).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

Like i said, the groundwork for starcraft 2 was probably done LONG before it came out, the bones of the game, the crap that makes the game good, i firmly believe that that was done long before the game was done, hell probably before wow was even out, it would be hard to imagine them not having at the very least a small team working on that over a long term.

Diablo 3 was crap. they stream lined it to the point that you don't have choice anymore, and to make it even better, they had to almost completely redo the game just to make it not suck. The loot system in Diablo has always been a joke to me, what is some of the loot drop rates? 1 in 10 million or was it 1 in 100 million, i forget, and that dynamically changes based on how many items are in the game, the auction house showed how sick of that crap people really are, you don't get the drops to drop and are fed crap for so long that you just dont even want to kill for the loot because its a 1 in several million chance for the loot to drop.

And hearthstone, now i know full well i may come off as a prick when i say this, but the game is a money grab that is simple to create. The TCG genre is hard to break into in real life, because of how far away people are who play it and how much of a money sink they can me, and to make matters worse, there are very few good tcgs on the pc that i know of, and many of them are fan ports of magic the gathering. NOW to make a TCG is ridiculously easy to. Take this as what ever you want, but when i was in third grade through sixth, me and a friend make games like this for fun, and the only thing you really need that we was the balance testing, with that any moron can make a TCG if the can balance it, and that is something that working on an mmo for so long should have taught them in spades. the tcg is also a desperation genre that people who want in on will pay allot for even if its not good, and they know it... this is a cash grab and nothing more, will it be fun... they are competent enough to pull it off, but that isn't saying much.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
@alidan
Are you paid to cause controversy in Tom's Hardware comment section or something?
Nothing you say is ever agreed upon by anyone else.
Also, please point out an RTS better than SC2. I'd really like to have you decline even further in my eyes.

Like i said, the groundwork for starcraft 2 was probably done LONG before it came out, the bones of the game, the crap that makes the game good, i firmly believe that that was done long before the game was done, hell probably before wow was even out, it would be hard to imagine them not having at the very least a small team working on that over a long term.
What kind of BS is this paragraph?

P.S.
but look at diablo 3 and tell me that is the same company that made diablo 2?
Get a clue, Diablo 2 was made by Blizzard NORTH which was a completely separate team of developers who used to be known as 'Condor' prior to buyout done by Blizzard. That same team has been released from Blizzard in 2005.

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.