Activision Did Not Want CoD: Modern Warfare

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosko42

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Big props to I.W. on ignoring the so called "research" and pushing forward anyway.

I'm looking forward to spending most of my gaming time during winter break with MW2.

nun

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
"Of course, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare ended up being one of the biggest hits of 2007 and its sequel, Modern Warfare 2 will easily be one of the biggest for 2009."

Hell yea!

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Ugh if COD4 was another WW2....... I wonder what sold more COD WAW or COD4. Modern Warfare Rocked, and I can't wait for MW2. Good call by the Project Team.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
If i had to pick one I would buy Battlefield Bad Company 2 but I probably won't pick up either.

I'm patiently waiting for BF3.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
The thing about Cod 4 is that it didn't paint anyone in a real bad light. Yeah you had "terrorist" but they weren't all from a specific country.. nor did they mention which country the war was going on in even though you could probably guess.. Sometimes edgy is the best way to go.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Now if the MMO companies would try to think on their own instead of just copying all of the previous "fantasy" titles before it, we might start a nice trend here.

Occasionally you get a title outside of the typical genre (Eve, City of Heroes) but there are so many other areas of fiction already out there developers refuse to touch. They keep going with fantasy "because that's what the research tells us to do."

Props to anyone who is willing to take that chance and make something different.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]agentjon[/nom]Shows that execs have no clue what us plebs want.[/citation]

Exactly. This statement reaches far beyond the entertainment industry as well.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
It's written (especially the title) as if they didn't want the final product COD4:MW, as if the product was bad. That's not true, they simply wanted it set in WW2. If the same team developed the game WW2 it would probably also be a great game. WW2 games needed a break though, so I'm glad they didn't.

x3nophobe

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Love COD4 but would welcome a remake of COD2 with the achievements and new lobby system. COD2 is still my favourite in the series .

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
My guess is that Activision wanted to stick with a politically safe WW2 story rather than let the developers have creative freedom with the tumultuous political climate of today.

As far as my money goes, I'm way more interested in modern warfare than WW2 warfare. I didn't even bother with WaW despite it being complete gameplay-wise. The WW2 shooter genre is completely oversaturated as far as I'm concerned. I'll stick with what's in there and not even bother with anything new.

hakuryuu

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Well Activision wasn't asking the right people because myself and a lot of people are so friggin sick of WW2 games at this point. I wasn't that interested in WW2 in the first place so why would I want to play the same basic story yet again? There is a reason I didn't play CoD5:WaW.

G

There's only so much you can mine out of WWII. Kudos to Infinity Ward to trying something new.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Why would you want to base video games now on something that happened 40-80 years ago when you have the ability to put them into todays weapons???? Kinda silly if you ask me. Although i think WW2 games still have a nitvh, but they need to be more creative in their game designs and better AI.

G

First person shooter games never said anything to me.
I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of thumbs down on this comment, but I just don't understand why a game like this would be popular...
I have more fun with Nintendo games, and racing games, or third person shooters.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Just shows publishers don't know shit. I'm actually disgusted now reading how dumb Activision was and probably how every other publisher is. That's why we get franchises that get run into the ground instead of fresh games because publishers don't like taking risks. And the sad thing is Modern Warfare wasn't that big of a risk. In fact, it was a long overdue and logical evolution of the series.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
COD4 is easily the best COD game in the series..Actually I didnt like the COD series much untill COD4. After reading this article I love Infinity ward even more now.To celebreation on some good news Im going to go play some COD4.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
CoD-check, CoD2-check, CoD4-(woohoo)check, WoW-check, MW2 - can't freakin' wait!

I did love CoD2, back in the day, played it online until the arrival of Modern Warfare, which was the first game that actually made me want to create a clan. Which I did. Kudos to Infinity Ward - hopefully we'll be porting the clan to the new installment ASAP.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Bah who cares, CoD 4 2 will still suck ass just like the first one did. Second biggest game purchase mistake on my part. Number one will be getting the collectors edition of age of conan.[/citation]

Wow, your taste in games must suck, considering that you actually purchased Age of Conan. Even wasted money on the collectors edition. AND THEN YOU TOLD EVERYONE!! LOL!!! Looks like those are your top three mistakes right there.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Bah who cares, CoD 4 2 will still suck ass just like the first one did. Second biggest game purchase mistake on my part. Number one will be getting the collectors edition of age of conan.[/citation]

Age of conan... If i was you I would keep that information secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS