[SOLVED] Actually thinking about a mATX build....

david_628

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017
I have pretty much selected all of my components for my next build. i9-9900k, Asus maximus xi, asus rtx 2080ti oc, etc etc. Lots of research, reviews, etc etc etc.

Now, I am sitting here thinking.... can I get what I want in mATX? Do I really need the big motherboard? There are some really great mATX boards and cases out there these days.

I do plan on getting the 9900k to 5ghz on all cores... but thats about it.

So, why shouldn't I go mATX?

Solution
ATX will have 7 expansion slots, M-ATX will have 4.
How many of them do you plan to use?
For most of us, the number is exactly ONE for the graphics card.

I had a need for a case with limited depth of 16".
There are not many around but I found the Silverstone TJ-08E which is working well and I think it should work for you.
It comes with a front 180mm fan that is supplying plenty of fresh air for my 8600K@5.0.
The intake is running half speed feeding a noctua NH-D15s cooler.

I have a GTX1080ti inside and have no heat issues.

Cooler doesn't matter.

Please buy mATX. hardly anybody needs all the expansion slots of ATX these days. The only reason so many get sold is because manufactures focus their inventory on those larger boards. Then case makers focus on ATX, and the vicious cycle continues. Chicken and egg scenario.

The only way things are going to change are if consumers send a message with their purchases.

ATX will have 7 expansion slots, M-ATX will have 4.
How many of them do you plan to use?
For most of us, the number is exactly ONE for the graphics card.

I had a need for a case with limited depth of 16".
There are not many around but I found the Silverstone TJ-08E which is working well and I think it should work for you.
It comes with a front 180mm fan that is supplying plenty of fresh air for my 8600K@5.0.
The intake is running half speed feeding a noctua NH-D15s cooler.

I have a GTX1080ti inside and have no heat issues.

Solution

True, but that is what I have and my actual experience.
When I do a stress test with all 6 cores my temperatures are in the 65c range.
The cooler has twin radiator towers and a 140mm fan.
Really not so different from a 280 aio setup.
The difference is where the heat exchange takes place.
With a good case and adequate air intake, I think the need for liquid cooling is overblown.

Here is a review of the NH-D15s in a small case using a I7-8700K:
https://www.performance-computer.com/reviews/noctua-nh-d15s/

david_628

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017

Main use is flight sim. Prepar3d. Plus about 100 addons. And I like to run it at ultra+ settings. Second to that is other mainstream titles... COD, battlefield, etc.

I don't plan on SLI or anything like that. M.2 HDD and 1 RTX2080ti. 32GB ram (2x16).

david_628

Honorable
Feb 28, 2017

The case I would likely get is a corsair 280X RGB. it can fit an H115 cpu cooler.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
"We tapped Corsair's H115i v2 to test our Core i9-9900K sample in the U.S. lab. This liquid cooler afforded enough headroom to sustain a 5.0 GHz overclock with a 1.33V Vcore and a Load Line Calibration 4 setting. It kept the Chip at a steady 85°C during extended non-AVX stress tests. Folding in AVX instructions did, unfortunately, overwhelm the all-in-one. To reign in the thermal output, we set the AVX offset to -2, meaning the chip ran at 4.8 GHz during AVX-optimized workloads and 5.0 GHz in the absence of AVX instructions. We maintained a temperature of 95°C during three hours of Prime95 using those settings."

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847-2.html

That leaves you very little room for any extra heat hiding in a case, or dust on things. In other words you kind of need a 360mm rad or give up on the 5.0 oc