AD and DNS

I just created a new zone on my root dns server and then set it up for
delegation to a server in a child domain. I then loaded dns on that child
server and added the zone as a primary zone and set the Allow Dynamic
Updates to Yes. Then I dcpromo'd this machine to make it a DC of the child
domain. It was my first dc in this domain. After I rebooted I see the zone
on the child dc and see it is a Primary zone. Should I change that zone to
a AD- Integrated zone now? Do I have to change anything on the root dns
server for the delegation settings? What about a reverse lookup zone for
this domain? Do I create the zone on the root dns server and delegate it or
do I create the zone on the child dns server?

Thanks

--
Scott Micale
330-877-3631

In news:%233B9wBdaEHA.3752@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Scott Micale <hrm_admin@news.postalalias> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I just created a new zone on my root dns server and then
> set it up for delegation to a server in a child domain.
> I then loaded dns on that child server and added the zone
> as a primary zone and set the Allow Dynamic Updates to
> Yes. Then I dcpromo'd this machine to make it a DC of
> the child domain. It was my first dc in this domain.
> After I rebooted I see the zone on the child dc and see
> it is a Primary zone. Should I change that zone to a AD-
> Integrated zone now?

You can make this change if you want, it would be recommended if you plan on
adding additional DCs to the child domain.

> Do I have to change anything on the
> root dns server for the delegation settings?

No

> What about
> a reverse lookup zone for this domain? Do I create the
> zone on the root dns server and delegate it or do I
> create the zone on the child dns server?

Reverse lookup zones are mostly irrelevant and are not necessary for AD
comunication. That said, you can configure a reverse lookup zone on either
or both.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]