Ad covers thread title - caused by Tom's Hardware or is it malware?

yogalD

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Okay, I'm guilty as charged, I use Adblock Plus.
Anyway, I noticed when Adblock is enabled on this site there is an ad that shows up that covers the thread title. If I right click it's as if the ad was never there (context menu is the same as right clicking on empty space) and same thing with middle click; hovering the mouse over the ad doesn't show the URL. Basically, it's like the ad isn't even meant to belong there.

Refer the image below:
96dhfp.png

Note, this only happens if you're not logged in. For some reason the forums look different when logged in.

WIth Adblock off it looks normal:
ojm5qh.png

My question is, is this intentional by Tom's Hardware, or is it malware because I'm sure there is some malware that inserts ads into web pages. However I've only seen this happen on the Tom's Hardware forums, and in Google Chrome, not in other browsers. Very strange. Can somebody shed some light on what's going on?

Solution
We serve up a different design for users who aren't logged in. It's part of some early testing for a redesign of the site we've been working on. Nonetheless, ads should not be obscuring any part of the site, for anybody. We'll look into what's causing that and try to get it fixed.

In the meantime, what some people might not know is that we actually offer our users the chance to browse the forums completely ad-free. Once you have obtained 5 Best Answers on the forum, all advertising is removed. It's our little way of showing appreciation for users who take the time to help out others in the community :)

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
No I've seen similar things happening. There are some "adds" that still get through and just don't behave as expected. I have a couple adds right now that try and sneak through, thankfully I got recoverr out of here. Those click baits were annoying.

That paid for addfree tomshardware would be great!

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
We serve up a different design for users who aren't logged in. It's part of some early testing for a redesign of the site we've been working on. Nonetheless, ads should not be obscuring any part of the site, for anybody. We'll look into what's causing that and try to get it fixed.

In the meantime, what some people might not know is that we actually offer our users the chance to browse the forums completely ad-free. Once you have obtained 5 Best Answers on the forum, all advertising is removed. It's our little way of showing appreciation for users who take the time to help out others in the community :)

Solution
G

In the last week or so I've been getting something a little different when not logged in.

6foEr8F.png

<There, fixed the embedding>

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Can you please provide more details on how to reproduce this? We are not seeing this on our end. Some details you can provide include your browser, your OS, specific links, and any actions you may have taken.

FYI, we use BBcode here on the forums, which is fairly standard for any forum out there. We do not support HTML strings.

G

I tried bb, and it didn't embed. I see someone else has experiened it. I'm Win7 x64, IE11, and any forum topic I've visited while not logged in. I'm betting it's an IE thing, as other sites are developing quirks that are obviously IE-related.