AD dns question

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

I posted this on the server migration group, but haven't gotten any

I'm currently testing the migration process of migrating from an NT
domain to 2003 Server. I understand the migration process, and it
works fine, however I've got a question about DNS and AD.

Our ISP has always hosted our dns (mycompany.com), and I know it is
advised not to use the ISP for your AD dns. So, when I install DNS, I
figure I'll install the site as (mycompany.local) to handle all of the
internal computers on my network, and the ISP will still handle
external, including the MX record for Exchange, which is still 5.5, but

will soon be migrating up to 2003 also.

For you DNS experts, is this the logical way to do this? I'm concerned

that my exchange server will show up in my internal dns as
exchange.mycompany.local, but will be exchange.mycompany.com with my
ISP. Will external emails still make it to my exchange server as long
as the IP address is correct?? As a side note, our MX actually points
to a spam service, which forwards directly to our exchange directly to
the IP address.

I know it seems like as silly question, but with the ISP hosting all
this time, I've never had to jump in and do anything with DNS, so I'm
not all that familiar with it. And I'll be read to do this once I get
this question answered.

thanks
Randy

In news:1108068833.880924.183080@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
randy <rhenson@cellxion.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I posted this on the server migration group, but haven't
> gotten any responses yet. I hope some of you guys can
> help me out.
>

> I'm currently testing the migration process of migrating
> from an NT domain to 2003 Server. I understand the
> migration process, and it works fine, however I've got a
> question about DNS and AD.
>

> Our ISP has always hosted our dns (mycompany.com), and I
> know it is advised not to use the ISP for your AD dns.
> So, when I install DNS, I figure I'll install the site as
> (mycompany.local) to handle all of the internal computers
> on my network, and the ISP will still handle external,
> including the MX record for Exchange, which is still 5.5,
> but
>
> will soon be migrating up to 2003 also.
>

> For you DNS experts, is this the logical way to do this?

Yes, it is logical, though you might consider using third level name of your
public name, see below.

> I'm concerned
>
> that my exchange server will show up in my internal dns as
> exchange.mycompany.local, but will be
> exchange.mycompany.com with my ISP. Will external emails
> still make it to my exchange server as long as the IP
> address is correct??

It will do this regardless of what you name the internal domain. However, if
you name your internal domain the same as your public name, you will have to
create records in your local DNS for resources still hosted externally.

As a side note, our MX actually
> points to a spam service, which forwards directly to our
> exchange directly to the IP address.
>

> I know it seems like as silly question, but with the ISP
> hosting all this time, I've never had to jump in and do
> anything with DNS, so I'm not all that familiar with it.
> And I'll be read to do this once I get this question
> answered.

You don't want to host your public DNS locally anyway, it is better to leave
it at an external source.

Since you have Exchange you might consider using a third level name of your
public domain, like lan.mycompany.com, exchange will use the machine name in
the message ID e.g.
6706F022ADC6744BA558A8DCE4A3C2201AC22@servername.domainname.com Which looks
more professional than
6706F022ADC6744BA558A8DCE4A3C2201AC22@servername.domainname.local

Also it makes it easier should you have any VPN clients connecting from the
internet

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]