ad-hoc connection

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Recently I bought two MSI wireless 11g PCI card and tried out with two PCs.
It works ok when I set them up next to each other although the response is
somewhat slow. When I move one of the PC to a room about 20 metres away the
signal becomes very poor and there's no exchange of data.

I wonder if this typical of ad-hoc connection. Would it work if I have a
router on the host computer and a wireless card on the other. Any advice
appreciated. Thank you.

Try to minimize obstructions. They matter more than distance. Imagine a
straight line from one PC card to the other. Maybe you can't do much about
walls, but what about book cases (high water content in paper), filing
cabinets (metal), etc.

There may be an additional problem since you say the connection is slow even
when the computers are close together. Have you used a response-time
measurement tool, or is this just a subjective evaluation?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.