Question Adapter for connecting a Displayport Monitor to a VGA laptop

Apr 18, 2018
Does an adapter for connecting a Displayport Monitor to a VGA laptop exist? I've found plenty of adapters for connecting a VGA monitor to Displayport Monitor, i.e. the other way around, but none for what I need.

Alternatively, could I somehow use an adapter like this and connect it to my laptop using a combination of other adapters or cables?

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you just need the connections to be right. the vga output from the laptop is likely a male end so you'd need a female vga which is what you linked.

however, you will want to get an "active" adapter. this is one that will "actively" change the analog vga signal to the digital signal the display pot needs. otherwise you'll send an incompatible signal to the monitor and it won't show anything.

the site you linked to has a filter for active vs passive adapters. so simply chose the active filter and grab one that is vga to displayport

Apr 18, 2018
Thanks for your answer! The one I linked is an active adapter, I made sure to check that beforehand. The problem is that they don't have VGA to Displayport, only Displayport to VGA. I.e. on the one I linked it says "AV Input: Displayport, AV Output: VGA" whereas I need the other way round. And in fact, every place I've checked only has this direction.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I imagine these adapters are made to convert a digital DP signal into an analog VGA signal. Does that necessarily mean they'll also be able to convert an analog VGA signal into a digital DP signal just by connecting it the other way round?

May 17, 2019
I have just successfully tested today a solution to your issue, using 2 different adapters and a dbl-female HDMI connector, all readily available from Amazon, at total cost of about $56. 1) vga output to HDMI by Wonlyus, $16; 2) HDMI output to DisplayPort by Cable Matters, $35, 3) Dbl-female HDMI, and of course a Displayport cable which I already had. You need a display cable which has at least one reg. size male to connect to the Cable Matters adapter, and then the other end should be reg. or mini depending on your monitor input. The dbl-female HDMI connecter (2/$5 by VCE) connects the HDMI cable end of the Wonlyus adapter to the short HDMI cable end of the Cable Matters adapter. Both adapters have USB and sound cables attached. I used the USB connectors in my testing for maximum signal strength and have not tested without using the USB support. I did not use the sound cables because I did not need sound for my display.