Adapter for PicoPSU 160w

Chaitooler

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Hi guys, I am building a new media center, I have the 350M Mini case, and a 160w PicoPSU (This one http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Box-picoPSU-160-XT-Power-Mini-ITX-Supply/dp/B005TWE6B8).

I will mount a case with AM1b Mini ITX with an Athlon Kabini 5150, and probably a 1TB hard drive and 4gb DDR3 memory.

I am looking for an adapter for the power supply, have in mind I live in Argentina so the tension is 220V.

Amazon suggests this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-AD-LCD12-Monitors-Adapter-Supply/dp/B000VE7GQQ/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_z

But 6A sounds particulary low for a 160w psu. The optimum intensity is 13.33a.

What happens if I connect a lower A? Like a 10a Adapter?
And what happens if I connect a higher A? Like a 20a one?

Some retailers here suggest me to buy a 10a Adapter, but I am loosing W from the PSU, is that dangerous for the psu? Is it better to go for a bigger one?

I am a little bit lost here, I know almost nothing of power supply.

Thank you a lot for your advice!
Christian

Solution
First you need to know how much power you require. Your cpu + board + memory are likely going to fall under 50 watts(I would guess even lower). Hard drives are not that power hungry.

Using a larger power supply does not hurt anything as long as it is still 12 volts(I am almost sure the pico just passes the 12 while generating the lower rails with onboard DC-DC converters). A system will only use the power it needs.

Smaller is also not an issue as long as you have enough current for the 12 volts and all the dc-dc converters.

Also note that not all 12 volt power brinks are built the same, you want good filtering because the pico does not filter the 12 volt rail.
First you need to know how much power you require. Your cpu + board + memory are likely going to fall under 50 watts(I would guess even lower). Hard drives are not that power hungry.

Using a larger power supply does not hurt anything as long as it is still 12 volts(I am almost sure the pico just passes the 12 while generating the lower rails with onboard DC-DC converters). A system will only use the power it needs.

Smaller is also not an issue as long as you have enough current for the 12 volts and all the dc-dc converters.

Also note that not all 12 volt power brinks are built the same, you want good filtering because the pico does not filter the 12 volt rail.

Solution

Chaitooler

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Hey, thanks, didn't thank you earlier.

I have to order the PSU from the US as I couldnt get it here in Argenitna yet.

I am just wondering, a lot of people recommended me not going any lower than 13A on the switching (mostly going for 180w or 192w switching). Not going any lower than the 160w capacity of the PICO PSU.

My question is, the PC I am going to feed is like 50 or 60w (motherboard, memory and cpu kabini). My pico PSU is 160. Is it safe to put a switching power around 72w? or the pico psu will die getting almost the half of the instensity... despite not using more than 50-60w power.

That is the main question, because the 192w switching are very expensive... here I can get an 72w, maybe 120w with luck and save a lot of money.

Thanks on advance!
Christian.

I do not think using a smaller power supply as long as the total system and picopsu's dc-dc converter to not draw more power than the switching power supply can provide would be an issue.

If you look at the mini-box website they actually sell kits with smaller power supplies.
http://www.mini-box.com/Power-Supplies-Kits

I would always have a bit of extra because you do not want to hammer that external power supply too hard. Lucky enough AM1 systems(i think that is what you are looking at) are very power friendly.