Question Adapting Heat Sink to AM4 Socket?

May 6, 2019
Hi, I have this very old heat sink, as shown in the picture below, that I would like to adapt to my AM4 motherboard. The heat sink is aftermarket so it has detachable mounting brackets, and was previously in an LGA775 socket. Can I buy mounting clips to fit this heat sink to my new motherboard? it looks to be a really good heat sink, and I don't want it to go to waste. It's a LOKI SD963 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xigmatek-SD963-CPU-refoidisseurs-radiators-X4-Intel/dp/B004Y44GP8 ), and I do not have any more mounting brackets.

WwyH4DI.jpg

Last edited:
Really? This still goes for around £20/$25. How would I adapt it to a AM4 socket? Where would I buy brackets from?

That is why I said in theory. I don't know where you can get a bracket for it to work with AM4. You could see if the vendor supplies some and ask them. Reason I say it isn't worth it is a Coolermaster 212 EVO will be a better cooler now for about the same money.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
May 6, 2019
A few years ago I bought a versatile bracket "V6 GT Accessory Kit" from Cool Master, this was adjustable for several Intel socket types. Maybe they have stuff for AMD too?
I don't think so :/ it is a really old cooler after all, the websites I've found did say it supported up to AM3(+?) so maybe I should stop being cheap lol and buy a new one.

May 6, 2019
There are several good budget coolers around that you could use as a replacement. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is rather budget friendly and if you aren't overclocking or have more than 4 CPU cores, it would be a good option. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-hyper-212-black-edition-rgb-silencio,5967.html

Ironic thing is, I have about 40 coolers at my house (including both of these) in my office storage from testing, but cannot just send you one.

I would not expect you to give away good kit to some random stranger, but thank you very much - I'm planning to get a Ryzen 3 2400G, and I may in the future decide to overclock it. However I am on a really tight budget, is it worth just getting a fan later instead of now, because the 2400G does come with the stock Wraith Stealth Cooler?