ADATA Doubles Down on SATA III With Value SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
^the $/GB far affordable ssd is different for everyone (for me I thought $2/GB is an affordable price and got an ssd back then, and even it is cheaper now, approaching ever closer to $1/GB

something happened and my last post didn't quite finish. Continue...

actually ocz vertex plus is at $1/GB now, I didn't regret on the upgrade.

@Doug Crowthers
So how much is it? That will be what many of us want to know.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I want to see affordable SSD's that are at least 500-1TB at least a few years into the future, so I can use it for my video/audio/image editing. I have 120GB now but it's just not enough.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Gees! Most people would think that this 120GB SSD is just fine. You can off load most of your gear onto a HDD with a larger capacity. Anyway I call a 64GB SSD or even a HDD suitable for surfing & that is all it is good for. 32GB surfing,64GB surfing & 120GB & over for gaming,etc.

G

needs to be about 10 cents/GB and then we will put 1 TB SSD in a netbook/laptop/tablet and prob 64 GB RAM at that point with 64-bit OS. maybe its 5 years away? or maybe we will just have a removable 500 GB SD card to run everything from?

animosityx

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
All sandforce budget SSDs show lower speeds on AS-SSD benchmark due to the fact that AS-SSD includes incompressible data. Asynchronous NAND preforms much more poorly with incompressible data as compared to compressible. The reported ATTO speeds are as high as they are because ATTO uses only compressible data. Im not sure why the author of this article feels the need to point out the "big difference" as if it is something out of the ordinary...

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I want to see affordable SSD's that are at least 500-1TB at least a few years into the future, so I can use it for my video/audio/image editing. I have 120GB now but it's just not enough.[/citation]

Have you considered lots of memory and raid 0 spinning drives rather than an SSD? For audio/video editing large sequential bandwidth might be more important than an SSD's brilliant random access performance. 4 x 1TB Spinpoint F3's in raid 0 cost $200-250 and would give you 400-500MB/sec of sequential and 4TB of storage. Any good video/audio software is going to prestage/stream the data into memory and act on it there....

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]thething[/nom]I didnt understand this part, whats AS-SSD ??[/citation]

It is a benchmark application, and the numbers are the performance for the ADATA SSD.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]Gees! Most people would think that this 120GB SSD is just fine. You can off load most of your gear onto a HDD with a larger capacity. Anyway I call a 64GB SSD or even a HDD suitable for surfing & that is all it is good for. 32GB surfing,64GB surfing & 120GB & over for gaming,etc.[/citation]

people who use ssds for boot purposes only, yea, sub 100gb is awesome.

i want an ssd for storage.

see, with how i use a computer, the main bottleneck on it is the hdd, and not the speed, the speed could be 50mb and 50mb or probably 25 and 25 and would seem just as fast, what i want it for is no seek time. this would make my computer infinitely faster.

see, sheer speed for me is worthless, but that seek time, that would make all the difference in the world.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]people who use ssds for boot purposes only, yea, sub 100gb is awesome.i want an ssd for storage.see, with how i use a computer, the main bottleneck on it is the hdd, and not the speed, the speed could be 50mb and 50mb or probably 25 and 25 and would seem just as fast, what i want it for is no seek time. this would make my computer infinitely faster. see, sheer speed for me is worthless, but that seek time, that would make all the difference in the world.[/citation]

Look out for the 4TB Western Digital Caviar Black (whenever it comes out) .. it'll probably have an improved version of the piezoelectric arm to further reduces access times. Might be fast enough for you. You can use Ultimate Defrag or O&O defrag to place certain files and folders on the outer edge of the platters..

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I want to see affordable SSD's that are at least 500-1TB at least a few years into the future, so I can use it for my video/audio/image editing. I have 120GB now but it's just not enough.[/citation]
1TB is hardly enough for real video editing. I use one 1TB drive for editing, and another for cold storage, and while they are plenty fast for editing most things (including real time low compression 1080p editing, though not exporting). But I just do little stuff. To do any real projects you would want much more space, and a RAID array would allow you to do real time editing with more effects/correction, as well as faster exporting and transcoding times (not to mention redundancy for drive failures).
SSDs are great at reducing latency which makes boot times, and opening/closing all those huge Adobe programs and other large production programs much faster and seamless. But to use it as an editing drive is like using an F1 racing car as a barge.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Look out for the 4TB Western Digital Caviar Black (whenever it comes out) .. it'll probably have an improved version of the piezoelectric arm to further reduces access times. Might be fast enough for you. You can use Ultimate Defrag or O&O defrag to place certain files and folders on the outer edge of the platters..[/citation]

ill look into them, thanks, but being on xp, i'm sure there are loops i'm going to have to jump through.

if seek time is even half of what it is now, ill move over to them

thething

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Lothdk[/nom]It is a benchmark application, and the numbers are the performance for the ADATA SSD.[/citation]

Thanks a ton Lothdk. Why is this BIG difference?? is it false advertising?

G

Hi,
Really confused by the statement "AS-SSD performance shows a big difference with sequential reads and writes at up to 200 MB/s and 140 MB/s respectively".

which one is better ocz Vertex3 or aData s510 ?

[citation][nom]animosityx[/nom]All sandforce budget SSDs show lower speeds on AS-SSD benchmark due to the fact that AS-SSD includes incompressible data. Asynchronous NAND preforms much more poorly with incompressible data as compared to compressible. ..[/citation]

It's not the flash doing the compression, it is the flash controller. The sandforce controller benefits from compressible data because the controller does compression before it writes to flash. An intel or jmicron controller with the same flash would not show compression effects.

weewoo87

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Doug did you copy the title from Hardware Canucks?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/adata-doubles-down-on-sata-iii/

verbalizer

Distinguished
if going SSD then make sure you follow Tom's SSD tweaks for Windows 7.
after implementing all the tweaks it will raise your WEI score up to .2 points. so even the slower performing SSD's that score in the 6.9 range will get a boost and get past the 7.0 barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.