Question ADATA HD650 disconnecting and bring down all usb when transferring files out through front usb 3.0

Feb 20, 2020
Hello people. I am having a weird issue with my external hard drive and front usb 3.0 port.

I have two external hard drives. One ADATA HD720 and one ADATA HD650 both 2 TB. Basically my HD720 was formatted in fat32 and I want to reformat it to exfat, but it already has around 1TB of files in there which I copied to HD650 as backup first. For this process (copying files from HD720 to HD650) I had absolutely no problem. I left it running overnight and the next morning everything is done.

Then I formatted my HD720 to exfat and want to copy all the files from HD650 back to it. However during this process (copying files from HD650 to HD720) my usb seems to "studder" randomly, like the disk would disconnect and reconnect it right away, which interrupts my file transfer. Sometimes they never come back and seem to bring down all my usb. My mouse and keyboard which are usb also stop functioning until I reboot my computer. I have switch the usb connection and have the same issue. Also the time it takes to disconnect doesn't seem to have pattern either. Sometimes it disconnect 2 minutes after I start the transfer, sometimes it can be 10 mins after.

Both drives are connected to my front USB3.0 port of a MSI Tomahawk Max. I have already turned off the usb power saving setting in both device manager and windows power management. I have updated the chipset driver of my motherboard as well.

I also have another external hard drive connected to the back USB3.0 port which I never had issue with, but it has it own power supply, so I was thinking maybe front USB is not able to provide enough power for two external hard drives at the same time? But transferring from HD720 to HD650 seems to have zero issue, but HD650 to HD720 has problem which really puzzles me. I do notice HD650 to HD720 seems to transfer faster so maybe it needs more power?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 20, 2020
usb power from your mmainboard may not be suffiecent to handle it
u can use usb active cable to get some external power or powered usb hub
Hello, thank you for the advice. I currently don't have a powered usb hub to try yet but I did a few more cross testing:

1. I swapped the usb cable on my HD650 and HD720. Same result usb sometimes disconnect when trying to transfering file out from HD650 only.
  2. I tried to transfer file out from my HD650 to an internal hard drive instead of another usb hard drive. Same result that usb disconnect. Some times the usb port it self does not even come back for the hard drive. When I try to plug the hard drive back in, in device manager I see "Unknown usb device (Device descriptor request fail). But if I plug in a usb key it works still.
  3. I plugged my HD650 to my laptop's usb 3.0 port. File transfer seems to be ok and it never disconnect. I tried transfer file to both internal and another usb key. My laptop only has one usb 3.0 port though so the other usb drive is plugged in a usb 2.0 port.
Now I guess there is some compatibility issue on my desktop's usb 3.0 port and HD650. Now my question is since I just got the HD650 I can still return it, but I am not sure if it's my desktop's usb 3.0 issue since it works fine with HD720 and another powered external hard drive, or HD650's issue, but it works on my laptop no problem....