Review Adata Legend 960 Max SSD Review: Now With Extra Toppings

how long before they start swapping out the parts in this model, too?
I would like to think Adata learned its lesson since the last time. Then again, I've seen multiple other SSDs from other vendors with language that basically says, "We can swap out parts at any time and you should never take the launch specs to be indicative of final hardware." And if you're doing a budget part, that's probably okay — not great, but okay. The problem is when you do that to a drive that gets a good review, and then noticeably downgrade the hardware. Making it better is fine, but changing the model name slightly is also perfectly acceptable.

Reactions: mac_angel

Opcod

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Well, some do only read about peak transfer.. But in reality, i don't care if i copy a file at 8gbps then after x sec it drop to 1.2g ! The Adata 960 is quite the best performer and only one to give the highest transfert speed sustain. This make a very good one for db, nas, raid sys... And put over a gen3 board, you get higher value.. 'those others' below the max speed. yes gen 3 max at 3.7, but all rest are giving a very efficient boost.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I would like to think Adata learned its lesson since the last time. Then again, I've seen multiple other SSDs from other vendors with language that basically says, "We can swap out parts at any time and you should never take the launch specs to be indicative of final hardware." And if you're doing a budget part, that's probably okay — not great, but okay. The problem is when you do that to a drive that gets a good review, and then noticeably downgrade the hardware. Making it better is fine, but changing the model name slightly is also perfectly acceptable.
yea, I don't think it should be legal to do that. Especially after the product has been released to the public and has reviews. If it has different parts in it than the one that was released, then it should be renamed. Even people that know about this practice and somewhat know what to look for have a really hard time in trying to figure out which is which. Even worse when they have a built in heatsink.