Adata Releases SX930 Flagship SSD With eMLC, JMicron Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Samsung has had a pretty tight grip on the price/performance ratio since its 850-EVO lineup was released. I've been hopeful something would come along this year to change that, and I guess we'll see if ADATA has created a rival when your testing results are released.

f-14

Distinguished
Samsung has had a pretty tight grip on the price/performance ratio since its 850-EVO lineup was released. I've been hopeful something would come along this year to change that, and I guess we'll see if ADATA has created a rival when your testing results are released.
samsung has a pretty tight grip on memory, because they are a manufacturer. the margins for competing against a maker of the parts your product needs most is in the negative when it's one of the best manufacturers for parts for your product. everybody else pays a selling price and deals with middlemen, manufacturers have no such and thus less overhead makes it difficult to compete with price wise.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

I agree. Because Samsung controls the near entirety of its SSD production and doesn't have to go outside of itself for much of anything, if at all, it can offer its SSDs at great prices. The only companies that can come close to that are Crucial and Intel. Intel's stuff tends to carry a higher cost due to the R&D, but Crucial's BX100 SSDs come in a close second to Samsung's 850-EVO. Sadly though, even if the BX100 drives were suddenly equal in price or cheaper, Samsung has Crucial's warranty topped by two more years.

Samsung positioned itself extremely well and is incredibly tough to beat presently in the SSD market.

Status
Not open for further replies.