News Adata Switches NAND on XPG SX8200 Pro SSD Again, Affecting Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makaveli

Splendid
Yuck, I would never buy anything from Adata in the past, this will guarantee that I won't in the future, and to tell friends not to buy.

Switching the NAND and not rebrading the product its a A** Move Adata I hope you lose many sales because of it.

Giroro

Splendid
"...latest revision is purportedly 30.8% percent slower in sequential read speed than the previous revision, and it also takes a 16.7% haircut in sequential write performance "

"According to the Redditor's results, however, the SX8200 Pro with Samsung 64-layer NAND (the previous revision) delivered up to 30.8% and 16.7% higher sequential read and write speeds than the latest variant that comes with SK Hynix 96-layer NAND. "

So is the new one ~30% slower, or is the old one ~30% faster? Those calculations are not equivalent.
For example, 2000MBps would be 33% slower than 3000MBps. But 3000MBps is 50% faster than 2000MBps.

USAFRet

Titan
So is the new one ~30% slower, or is the old one ~30% faster? Those calculations are not equivalent.
For example, 2000MBps would be 33% slower than 3000MBps. But 3000MBps is 50% faster than 2000MBps.
trivialities.

"Adata ships this drive with the same model number as the original SSD "
Slower is slower, and trying to gain the same revenue.

Reactions: Makaveli
I have the original one, which I bought ages ago for my 3700X build and it performs exactly as benchmarked on this website. Really bad look for Adata that it isn't relabelling these "refreshes" with different product numbers when the hardware has obviously been drastically altered from the original version. It's now impossible to recommend this drive unfortunately, since you have no idea what you're buying.

Reactions: Makaveli

jpe1701

Honorable
I was going to get the xpg s70 soon too but I'm not sure I want to give them my money now. I am wondering if hp has done something similar with the ex950 too because my 1tb drive has never been as fast as reviews and some other people have drives that are as fast and others are like mine with about a 700MBps difference in reads and writes as compared to reviewers. Hp doesn't actually support them in the US, it's handled by a distributor but I forget their name. I had to go to the amazon page and only then it was just luck that the name of the company handling support was there because it was in a review by a person complaining of the slower speed. I was able to find a review that had a slower drive but of course hp sent them a beta firmware update that made it work better but guess what? It is nowhere to be found online. Lol.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This is a bad move from Adata which will erode any confidence in their product that they managed to build up over the years. The SX8xxx series SSDs are actually one of the highly recommended NVME SSDs, but since they quietly switched the NAND controller last year, I feel its no longer one of the drives that people buy anymore. This does not apply to the SX 8200 series, but going forward, I won't even consider Adata when getting a SSD since I really don't know what I will be getting. For people like me who are already using the SX 8200, if the drive fails, then there is a good chance we will get back a slower drive when we RMA it.

In my opinion, they don't produce the NAND nor the controller. So they may be forced to change them because of the lack of supply. But trying to sneak it into the existing product with no indication is clearly a sly business decision. They should have created a new model so that people know the difference.

Feb 17, 2021
Last edited:

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
This is a bad move from Adata which will erode any confidence in their product...
In my opinion, they don't produce the NAND nor the controller. So they may be forced to change them because of the lack of supply. But trying to sneak it into the existing product with no indication is clearly a sly business decision. They should have created a new model so that people know the difference.
I agree. Right now these components are in short supply, so there's no surprise Adata is forced to use whatever is available on the market.
When the result is a significant (negative) change in performance this should be accompanied by a change in model name, number and official performance figures.

If the changes had resulted in >20% better performance I'm sure they wouldn't ignore it in the marketing...

SethNW

Reputable
Jul 27, 2019
Dear lord, just how many revisions will ADATA have in news... Seriously, if this keeps going on, even Intel will get jealous with their many Skylake revisions... :-D

rangerscott

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
Got one from amazon back in Dec 2020. It has the SM2262ENG controller with 2015 on it. The nand chips have Adata on them. Does adata make their own nand chips?

Dec 4, 2020
Unfortunately performance isn't the only concern. The controller used in the "v4" configuration didn't work on Gigabyte Z390 boards (read up kn the GB forums about it).

I reached out to ADATA at the time and they basically responded "we don't care, go to your retailer to solve your problem, it's all in your heads".

Dear Customer,
Thank you for supporting ADATA products.
SX8200NP follows the NVMe ™ (Nonvolatile Memory Standard) protocol,run with PCI-Echannel. Please check your pc, if still the same, Please contact with your dealer of the shop where you bought it for Replacement Swap/Repair service. If you need our help, please contact us again.
Best Regards,
ADATA Technology

At the time Gigabyte also didn't care to lift a finger.

Good times. Stay away from ADATA. Shady business practices.

Mar 1, 2021
I think there is another version, similar to v5, but uses Micron 96L TLC. I call it v1.5. But we can call it v6. I have two reports of it.

ADATA SX8200 Pro v6 [ SM2262ENG + Micron 96L TLC ]

1614638456529.png

1614638526969.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

No surprise. I don’t buy adata products. This is why.

nyannyan

Reputable
Jul 11, 2016
trivialities.

"Adata ships this drive with the same model number as the original SSD "
Slower is slower, and trying to gain the same revenue.

You're contradicting yourself or don't understand the value of precise communication. That "triviality" is hundreds of megabytes per second. Yet you say replacing components with worse performing ones is bad. That "triviality" has the same effect.

USAFRet

Titan
You're contradicting yourself or don't understand the value of precise communication. That "triviality" is hundreds of megabytes per second. Yet you say replacing components with worse performing ones is bad. That "triviality" has the same effect.
Trivial, as in this is nothing new.
Trivial, as in not as much negative impact as their previous tomfoolery.
Trivial, as in ADATA should already be on everyones Do Not Buy list.

Of course it's bad.

May 31, 2021
Heya, the Disk I got has the 2262ENG controller, is that the ones with better perf or it is it even more complex than just avoiding the G controller revisions?

This has to be the most confusing stunt I've seen on hardware stuff, it's like a SSD lottery that is likely getting worse with the looming miners.

Last edited:
I just picked up the 2TB SX8200 on a $199 sale at Best Buy. I read that ADATA is replacing, free of charge, the slower SM2262G controller units with the faster one if you reach out to support and request it, so I decided to take the chance. Guess they don't want any more bad press than they already got with their swapping shenanigans.

Hooray! It's got the older/better SM2262ENG controller. Not sure of the NAND yet as I won't be hooking it up until I get my PCIe to NVMe adapter to mirror my current WD 500GB. It matches pics of the older/better Micron memory as the chips just say the below but I could be seeing stock photos so, who knows. I'll find out when I do the swap in a week or so, and post benchmark tests.

ADATA

Last edited:

walterg74

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I just picked up the 2TB SX8200 on a $199 sale at Best Buy. I read that ADATA is replacing, free of charge, the slower SM2262G controller units with the faster one if you reach out to support and request it, so I decided to take the chance. Guess they don't want any more bad press than they already got with their swapping shenanigans.

Hooray! It's got the older/better SM2262ENG controller. Not sure of the NAND yet as I won't be hooking it up until I get my PCIe to NVMe adapter to mirror my current WD 500GB. It matches pics of the older/better Micron memory as the chips just say the below but I could be seeing stock photos so, who knows. I'll find out when I do the swap in a week or so, and post benchmark tests.

ADATA

How do you check the version of controller and ram?

If you haven't put the heatspreader on yet you just look at the chips.

If you have you'll have to run some tools/programs to identify. There seems to be some command line tools available but I haven't personally used them.

Status
Not open for further replies.