Adata SX8000 NVMe SSD Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffw_1

Prominent
May 17, 2017
Thanks for all the behind-the-scenes development issues and insights. Why no mention of the TLC competition emerging though?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
At least it (mostly) out-performs Intel's lousy 600p. That should be the minimum standard for all NVMe SSDs.

HERETIC-1

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
Hi Chris,
Can be a crummy job at times-struggling to find something nice/positive to say.
Adata should be getting them wafers at a reasonable price-No one else wants it.
Do you know what nm IMFT are using here?????????????
Sure I read somewhere 20nm.
Know Sammy went back to 30/40nm.
Could that be part of the problem?? Trying to be too greedy???

Retrogame

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Useful coverage. I have only recently started reading the review series of SSDs and now NVMe. I'm glad they're here!

I'm disappointed that initial pricing for a product like this is actually so out of whack. But people must not be reading the detailed write ups. They look at the current price of this disk vs. the next two or three, compare the four-corner specs printed on Newegg, and pick one. Probably the WRONG ONE! Not because the physical quality is bad or the endurance is bad, but because the actual throughput doesn't justify the sticker price. The MSRP is hiding behind BS numbers.

Fortunately though, pricing can be disrupted. For example, I shop the Canadian Newegg site. Due to currency conversion and shipping and other things, we pay a lot more for stuff. At the moment this drive in 512GB is $275 CAD whereas the 960 EVO is out of stock but available from a 3rd party seller for $365 CAD.

So locally, at stores that I personally can actually shop at, it's immediately available for $90 CAD less than the competitor. I could go get a price match down the street. Almost a hundred bucks is enough of a difference to get a better CPU within the same budget parameters. The disk wouldn't be as awesome, but if you're willing to compromise and shop to get it for a much better price...

Status
Not open for further replies.