Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2020
Hi,

As the title says, my read speeds are no where near my write speeds. The read speed should be around 3500MB/s, and the write speed 3000MB/s.

Any suggestions to fix this problem??

My pc system :
GS65 8RF laptop
Processor:I7-8750h
RAM: 32gb 2660mhz
Dedicated graphics: GTX 1070 max-q 8gb
Storage: Adata SX8200 pro 1tb

Screenshots:
asQpIWc.png

iUDhv6M.png

K5VZPoz.png

dLW5TNH.png

wessberg

Commendable
Jan 27, 2020
I have this same exact problem.

I have two of the ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB drives sitting in my Gigbatyte Z390 Designare's M.2 slots, both of which run on PCIe 3 x4. I also have a dedicated graphics card, a PowerColor Radeon RX, 5700 XT Red Devil with an extra overclock and much higher power limits than stock. I don't use the PEG power connector which can supply additional PCIe power if you are using multiple graphics cards, and I was wondering if that may be the reason? Given that I raised the GPU power limits and have an additional two PCIe M.2 drives? Otherwise, I really don't know. Like you, the write speeds are fine, but the reads aren't.

From the motherboard manual, the two M.2 slots looks to be fully capable of running the advertised speeds:

1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and
PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2M)
- 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and
PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P)

And the PEG power connector is described as follows:

The power connector provides auxiliary power to the onboard PCI Express x16 slots. When two or more
graphics cards are installed, we recommend that you connect the 2x3 power cable from the power supply
to this connector to ensure system stability.

Last edited:

wessberg

Commendable
Jan 27, 2020
I've tested in safe mode without luck.

On the first SX8200 Pro, the reads are around 2000 - 2300MB/s and writes are around 2900-3000 MB/s (so, advertised write speeds, but the reads are pretty far off).

Interestingly, on the second SX8200 Pro, it's quite the opposite: The reads are around 3200MB/s - so within acceptable range - but the writes are way around 1500-1700MB/s - so as much off as the Reads on the other NVME. It seems like they need some bandwidth, and it hits the first drive on the read speeds and the other one on the write speeds. What gives?

Everything looks perfectly fine in BIOS and in CrystalDiskInfo. Temperatures are great (around 40 degrees under load). Both M.2s are running PCIe x4. I've checked that TRIM is enabled.

I don't think there's a problem with the SX8200 Pro's since I have two of them and they both have these problems. That would be one hell of a coincidence.

Last edited:
Well, with the Z390 both M.2 sockets are using chipset lanes. This limits everything to x4 PCIe 3.0 ("DMI 3.0") bandwidth total. That's a different story but worth mentioning. As for sequential writes, they can vary wildly due to SLC caching. The actual speed of the TLC is far lower.

The one socket (M2M) also shares bandwidth with two SATA ports and the other (M2P) with one port, but this should not impact performance (it'll just disable the ports). Otherwise, pg. 64 of your (Designaire) manual explains desired settings when PCIe drives are used.

When benchmarking, reads should be fine. Use CDM 6.x to get proper maximum queue depth (32). I'm not aware of any specific issue that causes that problem but I'll think on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.