[SOLVED] Adata SX8200 slow write speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2019
I'm using a ADATA SX8200NP 480gb and the write speed is very slow. Write speed hovers around 550ish for Sequential. Read speed is also slower than other benchmarks I saw but not as bad as Write. My motherboard is MSI H370 Gaming Pro Carbon, the ssd is plugged into the top slot with m.2 shield. It is also my boot drive and running in UEFI. View: https://imgur.com/zv1lIaz
View: https://imgur.com/SG4Z6uQ

View: https://imgur.com/oBNLI6b

Reactions: 0gati
Solution
@Mothman0724 it's been enabled for me too from the start.

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Clean install after wiping the drive
  • Multiple different disk benchmarking software
  • Realworld Benchmarks
  • Putting the drive in a completely different system (also running 1809)
  • Trim, SFC, Services -> Optimize Drives etc
  • Ran trimcheck to inspect the disk to see if Trim was functioning correctly
  • Checking system32/drivers/stornvme.sys for a potential rollback driver
  • Downloading the Adata 'Toolbox' which does absolutely nothing
  • Latest BIOS, Drivers, etc
  • Tweeting ADATA (the more of us bring it up the better)

Here's what I haven't tried
  • Testing the drive on 1803 or earlier version of Windows 10...
Apr 1, 2019
I've got the same problem with my ADATA SX8200 240GB. My motherboard is Asus PRIME B350M-K (last BIOS), Win10 64bit.

6e1ca29e36052.jpg

@briantoanle, how long do you use your SX8200?
I've send a message to the ADATA support. I'm waiting for the reply.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019
Exact same problem with my SX8200 as above on an AMD Ryzen setup. My motherboard is an Asus Prime X370 Pro. Am running 1809.

JmvxLGH.png

I've also had a look and there doesn't seem to be any SX8200 Adata Drivers. The toolbox they listed on their website is useless - don't bother trying to install it. It doesn't even recognize the SX8200.

@papryk18 can you link Adata this forum thread? None of our systems are the same (different motherboard, cpu etc) but we're all suffering the same poor performance.

Apr 14, 2019
Hi! Same issue here. Has any of you been able to solve the problem yet? I'm running on an Asus Prime x399-a. I've got very similar numbers to the last poster.

2019-04-14-13-28-49-Window.png

Apr 6, 2019
Go5NN47.png

@popatim Thanks so much for chiming in. Here's a screenshot of the driver being used - I can't see anything that looks out of the ordinary. I am running Windows 10 Proffesional Build 1809 (17763.437).

As @arky33 mentioned, there is no special SSD driver provided by ADATA.It looks like it's a serious issue as there are multiple people with all different systems suffering the same issues.

Apr 6, 2019
Just checked the disk usage in Task Manager while running a benchmark - Windows seems to think that it's running at 100% speed while writing at 550MB/s. It's like it doesn't recognize that it's an NVME drive capable of higher speeds while writing, but when reading it runs fine.

Apr 6, 2019
that's probably as good as it gets for that drive after it's been tested in two different systems, and another poster with similar setup shows same results.

The drive has benchmarked much higher in the past. You can google "SX8200 Review" and see it bench much higher. Even Chris Ramseyer tested the drive on tomshardware here. When I benchmark on userbenchmark it shows the drive as performing at the 4th percentile compared to other users with the same drive. https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/480586/ADATA-SX8200NP. You can see here that some users are even benching as low as 261MB/s write speed.

I would use these tools to test it out and make sure all settings are correct.

https://www.adata.com/us/ss/software-6/

That 'toolbox' does nothing - it doesn't even recognize an NVME drive. It's also an incredibly buggy piece of software and causes systems to freeze for some time. If you google Adata Toolbox + issues you'll see many forum posts about how bad it is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

are you plugged into an x4 pcie slot? All I know is that lots of people are complaining about the performance of ADATA ssds here on the forum. they won't last as long or perform nearly as good as Samsung or Crucial SSDs. I don't care what reviews say. ESPECIALLY Tom's reviews, they are a joke. Literally.

Apr 6, 2019
are you plugged into an x4 pcie slot?

Yep I am - BIOS is running the M.2 Slot in PCIE 4x - I'm able to get normal NVME read speeds too.

All I know is that lots of people are complaining about the performance of ADATA ssds here on the forum

:( It sucks. The thing is though that the drive has benched really well for a lot of users in the past. I'm inclined to think it's an issue with a windows update and Adata need to release a driver or something. It just doesn't seem right that we're all having the same problem.

Are you here just to go poo poo on Adata?

D

Deleted member 14196

maybe you want to try the other M.2 slot, some guy I found did and said it worked. You have two. if not, for grins and giggles, try it in an X16 slot and post back the results.

Apr 6, 2019
@Mothman0724 it's been enabled for me too from the start.

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Clean install after wiping the drive
  • Multiple different disk benchmarking software
  • Realworld Benchmarks
  • Putting the drive in a completely different system (also running 1809)
  • Trim, SFC, Services -> Optimize Drives etc
  • Ran trimcheck to inspect the disk to see if Trim was functioning correctly
  • Checking system32/drivers/stornvme.sys for a potential rollback driver
  • Downloading the Adata 'Toolbox' which does absolutely nothing
  • Latest BIOS, Drivers, etc
  • Tweeting ADATA (the more of us bring it up the better)

Here's what I haven't tried
  • Testing the drive on 1803 or earlier version of Windows 10
  • Testing the drive on Linux or other OS (this would help to narrow down the problem)
  • Smashing it to little bits out of frustration

Kinda odd how we're all having exactly the same issue of 500ish MB/s write speeds. I'm really surprised at the number of people that have made new accounts just for this issue and @ADATA Technology is yet to acknowledge it. Let's try hitting them on social media and letting your friends know to avoid ADATA until this problem is resolved.

My crazy theory is that Windows thinks the drive is a SATA 3 drive while writing. It's really annoying that there's no firmware provided by ADATA, hopefully someone finds a solution soon as I've tried everything I've seen online.

I'll definitely be buying Samsung next time.

Solution
Apr 6, 2019
hIU5MxS.png

Update

I benched the drive on Linux Mint and guess what - it's doing the same thing. Normal read speeds but then terribly slow write speeds.

It definitely seems like an issue with @ADATA Technology's firmware version SVN139B. If you look at all the recent benches on userbenchmark for the SX8200 you can see them all getting these slow write speeds.

paolo81

Commendable
Apr 26, 2017
0gati

Hi 0gati, thanks for notification about this thread.
My sx8200 is in warranty service at the moment, because:
  1. I've wiped the drive and tried many different windows settings, driver & NVMe controller uninstall included. Spent load of time fiddling around with no positive result
  2. I've tried the drive in different computer with the same results
  3. I've contacted A-DATA technical support and their advice was to change the drive under 5 year warranty

Apr 6, 2019
Just filled in a RMA application under warranty. I recommend you all do the same as if they start receiving multiple requests with the same issue they will be forced to acknowledge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS